Interior Trim and Sunroof

Glanceb

Reaction score
Hi,

Just a couple of questions to help me with a problem I have with the restoriation of my 2800 cs

1. I cant seem to remove the centre console that houses the 4 electric switches, lighter etc and gear shifter. Is there a screw somewhere, hidden from view. I have an old manual from this site but it does not explain how to do this

2. I'm applying sunroof seals, these are the grey velvet type, I was supplied with two diffrent sizes, I can only assume that the smaller one goes on the back and sliding part of the sunroof and the larger one goes on the roof?? Would anyone have a picture of one correctly installed and what is the best adhesive to use for this?

3. I was also supplied with a small rubber seal for the sunroof that I can only assume goes on the internal side to stop water getting in?

Thanks in advance

glance B

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
1. Unzip the shifter boot and there is a screw (or 2?) through a black metal bracket to the transmission tunnel.

2. Seems to be some disagreement about which part get glued to where. I think the long felt piece goes on the body and the short felt piece on the rear of the sunroof.

3. Correct.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Pop the window switches up using a thin screwdriver, preferably felt-tipped so you don't scratch the chromed plastic of the switch, and you should see 2 screws, one on the left and right, that are attached to the console side panels. (the large black parts) These side panels are attached to the main body by three screws further towards the front, directly beneath the heater vents. Depending on if you have an AC or non-AC car, you will likely have to remove the AC to get to the screws.

pamp

Reaction score
Sunroof felts

I posted on this very subject in December. Carl recommends Wurth Rubber Glue for this application. I have a set of '84 Volvo 242 seals coming, should arrive here next week. These are black, and I think would look better for my car color. Carl also say that he uses Porsche seals (didn't know about Volvo(s) The Porsche seals are black. Please search "Sunroof Seal" for this thread. I took a look at the Volvo install as there a no coupes or E3's in my neck of the woods. Front (stiff) felt to body and the limp guy to the sliding panel. This seems to be the consensus, but others have done this job with both seals to the body. Thanks to all who have contributed to this so far, and I would be interested in any more input and photos on this subject.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Removing window switches--NO SCREWDRIVER REQUIRED

The correct installation of sunroof seal is: larger piece glued to front attached to body--smaller more flexible seal is attached to rear edge of the sunroof panel--any other way is simply a mistake being shared by a late comer.

Never use a screwdriver to remove your chromed plastic switches--simply unzip your shifter boot and reach beneath to push the switch up and you will not damage the chromed plastic by ever prying on that fragile part--when out you will see the little spring clip attached to hold in place.

The old pry it out with a screwdriver method is also WRONG--in the way many those new to coupes have removed the chromed plastic disc/insert for the vent window wheel--use the valve adjust tool from your toolbox--you do have that tool don't you--place the short 90 degree point in behind the wheel and slowly rotate until you feel the hole in the wheel proper--using a cloth for protecting the wood finish from the heel of your tool pry from the back and the chromed plastic disc will pop out--it helps if the wheel material is warmed--hair dryer is a good way.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Re: Removing window switches--NO SCREWDRIVER REQUIRED

blumax said:
The old pry it out with a screwdriver method is also WRONG--in the way many those new to coupes have removed the chromed plastic disc/insert for the vent window wheel--use the valve adjust tool from your toolbox--you do have that tool don't you--place the short 90 degree point in behind the wheel and slowly rotate until you feel the hole in the wheel proper--using a cloth for protecting the wood finish from the heel of your tool pry from the back and the chromed plastic disc will pop out--it helps if the wheel material is warmed--hair dryer is a good way.
I've always used an "L" shaped allen wrench instead of the valve adjust tool.

cpeavey

Reaction score
I, too, have always used an Allen wrench. I must have picked up that trick when I had a 2002, which has nearly identical knobs, but no valve adjusting tools came in those tool kits. :)

When you are popping the window switches up with pressure from below, be sure to simultaneously apply pressure to the aluminum trim strip on top of the console. The switches grip onto the trim strips with spring clips, and that's the grip you have to break. The pair of these strips are attached to the console by aluminum studs and you can break off a stud pretty easily if you don't hold them down to the console. If those guys aren't NLA, they are at least expensive.

Charlie Peavey

pamp

Reaction score
The felts

Here is the comparison between BMW spec. grey and the Volvo spec. black
Opinions are welcome and in fact encouraged.
c4e2cabd1e760e4dba86488f2cd1bbbf.jpg

ee4e5599d038e8063b4b25cd1f0315a4.jpg