In demand? MSW (OZ) 7x14 Alpina look wheels

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
I can pick up a very clean set quite inexpensively. But I wouldn't use right now. Are these worth grabbing on general collecting principles?

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have 15" OZ and have not yet seen another set come up, are you sure they are 14's? Not sure how much the 14's would be in demand given the same look was avail from BMW (cheap), and Alpina (not cheap) in 14".

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, 14" wheels. But the 7" width is wider than BMW isn't it? Maybe style look is more like the later Alpina?

Attachments

• download_20151028_191857.jpg
    download_20151028_191857.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 148
  • download_20151028_192314.jpg
    download_20151028_192314.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 144

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
FPS (OEM) upgraded their Alpina style to 7x14 also. They don't have the same amount of "dish" as the CSL Alpina wheels though. You can find them on realoem, they are still available from the dealer for around $300 ea retail.

I think that the oz wheels would sell relatively quick. However, as others pointed out 14" tire options are dwindling. You are typically liking at an H rating at best. That doesn't really matter much but the tread patterns and tire compounds are limited.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
Those look great and the extra dish they have over the later stock CS wheels is huge, at least to my eye. I'd run them in a heartbeat, but I already have 14x7 Weds and I love those.

I don't see a jump in value coming, but perhaps it might be fun to tuck them away and sell them down the road.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I took a better look this evening. Those look very similar to alpinas and would be a great alternative to anyone that doesn't want to spend $1600+ on 14" wheels. I had good luck painting the centers of my late model real Alpinas black if you want to give it a try. You can also plastidip the centers for under $10 if you want to experiment on the vintage look. You can also plastidip the oz caps black and put on a $10 set of Alpina stickers and they will look *very close to the real thing. If you aren't familiar with plastidip, it is a removable paint that is essentially a thin rubber coating. If you ever saw the movie "The Jackal" with Bruce Willis, he uses this type of paint before it went mainstream. Wheels are one of the most common applications.

If you look at my FS thread I sold my oz wheels for $300. Mine were essentially clones of bbs mahle wheels. $300 seems to be a magic number for most one piece 14" wheels. I think yours could easily command double that if you prepped them accordingly. One would be hard pressed to replicate the look for any less.

In my opinion the timing is right. Excluding a few bbs/Alpina applications, many E28 owners have migrated away from 17"+ wheels, and favor 14,15,16" varieties. Your *current market exceeds the e9 crowd. With that said, I'd probably want to keep them. I am not parting with my 14x6 FPS derivatives.