Importing stuff from US retailer to UK, import duty?

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
looking to buy wheel nuts and hub caps for my new Alpina wheels. Coupeking has the best nuts I have seen :eek:, but they're in the US and I think I'd need to pay import duties of 20%

Can I ask CK to deduct local taxes as they're for export from US to U.K.?

What have other people done? Just pony up?

Ohio Jon

Site Donor
Reaction score
In the USA when a purchase is shipped outside of the state or country there is no sales tax. State to state may be changing soon but I believe exporting will not.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have CK show them being shipped as a gift on the customs declaration!! or declare a low value. Only way that can hurt is if they get lost. I don't think we can insure an item here for over seas delivery any ways.

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Hi Drew, the boys at coupeking wrote my invoice value down when I ordered my wheels from him, we had to get it under the $A1000 threshold to avoid import duty and gst (vat) which would have added 20%.
Call them, they will work it out, after the ‘best nuts’ call, they owe you....

Cheers. John

Simufly

Reaction score
looking to buy wheel nuts and hub caps for my new Alpina wheels. Coupeking has the best nuts I have seen :eek:, but they're in the US and I think I'd need to pay import duties of 20%

Can I ask CK to deduct local taxes as they're for export from US to U.K.?

What have other people done? Just pony up?
Difficult. Even if they put a low value you CAN be caught. I speak from experience.