Importing a e9 3.0

Dales

Reaction score
What are the pitfalls, procedures, costs, drawbacks of importing a car compared to buying one in the US?

posix

Reaction score
I haven’t personally imported any cars but have played with the idea on several cars.

I’m in California and because of reit basically impossible to get any non NA e9 into California, even if it’s already in the states.

so I would speculate the hardest part making sure you can register and legally drive the car in your state. there’s companies that basically can handle the rest.

Lowell Paddock

Site Donor
Reaction score
I imported my '74 CS from Germany in 2018 (I bought it there in 2004). I was fortunate that I had an advisor (whom I paid) who let me leverage his contacts. Overall, it went smoothly, but consistent and clear paperwork is an absolute must to get the car out of the exporting country as well as to import it here. If you have good agents on both ends, it goes pretty smoothly. I was shipping two cars, so I opted for a container. But that means you're at the mercy of customs on this end about when your container gets cleared. RORO, though a little less secure, usually makes for a faster clearance. The most important issue is to make sure that you know what you're buying.

Ski coach

Deceased
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I’ve imported (2) cars from Europe using Cosdel International. They handle everything from door to door. Pm me if you want personal contact.
cheers,
chris

Dales

Reaction score
I imported my '74 CS from Germany in 2018 (I bought it there in 2004). I was fortunate that I had an advisor (whom I paid) who let me leverage his contacts. Overall, it went smoothly, but consistent and clear paperwork is an absolute must to get the car out of the exporting country as well as to import it here. If you have good agents on both ends, it goes pretty smoothly. I was shipping two cars, so I opted for a container. But that means you're at the mercy of customs on this end about when your container gets cleared. RORO, though a little less secure, usually makes for a faster clearance. The most important issue is to make sure that you know what you're buying.
Does anyone know a reputable PPI in Calgary or the best way to locate one?

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Expect to pay 2.5 percent duty. Calgary is a nice dry climate.
Importing and registering car in CO should be relatively easy.
But knowing exactly what you are buying is the most important thing.
My buddy imported a newer Bentley from Calgary that he bought on BaT, BTW. We are in the east, so he had it shipped to Niagra Falls and picked it up there. A company took car of the paperwork for him.
Cosdel is very good, but charges premium prices. Pebble Beach prices.

Dales

Reaction score
not to but in, but I have a coupe for sale pretty close to you
The envelope in the upper right corner opens the Conversation box. To reply to someone click on the name to the left of the screen and it gives you options.
The envelope in the upper right corner opens the Conversation box. To reply to someone click on the name to the left of the screen and it gives you options.
I tried the envelope at the top and the one at the bottom and got nowhere with either. But I am close to computer illiterate.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I tried the envelope at the top and the one at the bottom and got nowhere with either. But I am close to computer illiterate.
Click on envelope, click Start a New Conversation, box opens up, enter Alias of member or multiple members, type message.

or click on member whose post you are viewing (on left of post), click start a new conversation

Dales

Reaction score
Expect to pay 2.5 percent duty. Calgary is a nice dry climate.
Importing and registering car in CO should be relatively easy.
But knowing exactly what you are buying is the most important thing.
My buddy imported a newer Bentley from Calgary that he bought on BaT, BTW. We are in the east, so he had it shipped to Niagra Falls and picked it up there. A company took car of the paperwork for him.
Cosdel is very good, but charges premium prices. Pebble Beach prices.
Thanks, I am looking into all of that. Another question: assuming similar mechanical and body/paint conditions and similar mileage, what would be the difference in price between an e9 with few owners and complete historical records and one with an unknown number of owners and minimal historical records? Thanks, Dale

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Personally, unless you are looking for a specialty E9 or have a remarkable example, I don't think there is much reason to import one. Since these cars pre-date the DOT/EPA updates, you aren't getting much extra from a euro coupe. Most of them are in Germany, which sees rust like the midwest region of the US. The EUR/USD exchange rate isn't great, the import fees aren't great, the shipping is expensive, and there are numerous nice examples in the US. I think that imports from Canada may make sense given the relative ease of import and shipping, plus the favorable exchange rate.

Now if we are talking about e24/e28, I think it is worth considering. :)