Import fees rant

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just a reminder for anyone purchasing and shipping anything into USA from overseas. UPS is charging me $58 to import a package from walloth nesch. Bogus isn't it?

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Strange. Is it an extra large package or high $$?
I placed a $220 order with them last month. Plus their flat rate $49 UPS shipping fee. Package was roughly 10lbs.
Delivered to Portland in less than a week.
No extra fees.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I purchased some parts from CS-Werk a few weeks ago and got notice from UPS that I needed to submit another $69 in import taxes. My notice was via mail.

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm seeing emails from UPS, not texts. Noticed a couple days ago the tracking info showed fees coming as well.

It was over $1000, maybe that is what does it. The largest item is shocks, but may be heavier with front brake rotors.

Over the years Its been 50/50 shot of seeing a few or not. Seems like a scam either way, govt or business.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Some thoughts…

There is the difference between euros and dollars.
There is a currency conversion fee from your bank.
There is a brokerage fee.
There is a customs fee.
There is state tax to be paid.
There is the shipping cost.

UPS is acting as your customs broker- you bought + $1000.00 of goods and that triggered the brokerage and customs fee.
Over $2500.00 triggers a report to your state tax bureau.
As a resident of Alameda and a business- I pay 10.75% state tax on that package.

That’s why European goods can cost you 30% after all the fees.

Last edited:

Breiti

Reaction score
Here in europ, we pay custom AND tax on every parcel over 22€ worth.
They add 10% custom and 19% tax on every parcel even on the shopping cost as well.....

Sometimes FedEx or post did it, sometimes we have to pic it up at customs office.

Breiti

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here in europ, we pay custom AND tax on every parcel over 22€ worth.
They add 10% custom and 19% tax on every parcel even on the shopping cost as well.....

Sometimes FedEx or post did it, sometimes we have to pic it up at customs office.

Breiti
Breiti, you have to customs and tax even if the package you receive was sent from inside the EU? What if it is sent from Germany?

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Indeed! So for me, Being next door to Germany, I pay no import tax if I buy at Walloth.

But if I buy, say, rear lights from a forum member in the UK, I have to pay 21%tax when importing to the NL; as the UK has 'Brexited' themselves. Business or private vendor doesn't matter in that case.

otter74

Reaction score
Seems a little bonkers. In October I shipped a rather large and heavy box home to Chicago from Malawi and *that* only cost $50 to ship.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've been on both sides of the metric for packages from Walloth. For me, I think it might be around $600 as the trigger. If my order is less than $600, it just arrives at my door. If it is more than $600, I get a bill for some customs fees, typically through UPS. Then it is a game. Is it worth paying the WN flat 49 Euro shipping fee for multiple shipments that are each less than $600, or is it easier just to pay 49 Euro once and pay the customs. I don't spend the time/energy to do this math. I just ordered what I need, when I need it. If I'm lucky, a local forum friend may need some parts as well and we can split the shipping fee. :)