Ignition

Dave L

Reaction score
ok, now that I have changed my starter, my problem appears to be in another area, the ignition. More precisely, the steering column ignition key lock. If I insert the key and turn, everything lights up, but no start, no cranking. If I put outward pressure on the key and push to one side, I get a nice smooth start. Ignition switch or key cylinder?

Wladek

Reaction score
ok, now that I have changed my starter, my problem appears to be in another area, the ignition. More precisely, the steering column ignition key lock. If I insert the key and turn, everything lights up, but no start, no cranking. If I put outward pressure on the key and push to one side, I get a nice smooth start. Ignition switch or key cylinder?
Hard to tell, but i think it is switch issue.
At first check if ignition switch is properly connected with ignition lock part.
If it will look ok, disassemble switch part from lock part try to start without ignition lock part.
It might be grease problem inside the ignition switch; or also plastic part might be loose to metal part.
SAM_2989.JPG
switch.jpg

Dave L

Reaction score
I see the ignition switch part is available through a few internet sources. Is it fairly easy to replace? I can imagine 47 years of wear, might be time to replace it.

Wladek

Reaction score
After disassembling the lower cover of steering column on ignition lock tunnel area you will see little screw (philips type), that screw mount place is shown above on photo with red arrow. After unscrewing it you should be able to remove rear electric part of ignition. Do it gently.