I got some really bad news from my son today...

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I know this is off-topic, but I had to say something...

Three of my son's friends were killed in a car accident last night. He has a group of friends that have the hopped-up import cars, some very expensive and very fast, and they go up into the hills and drive fast. My son goes with them most of the time but happened to be home with us last night when it happened. Apparently, one of the kids was driving another's car and had three passengers with him when he lost control going downhill and crashed into a tree. Two of the kids were pronounced dead at the scene and the third died later at the hospital. Two of them teenaged boys and a 17 year old girl still in high school, all friends of my son. The driver survived with minor injuries and is the kid that I know the best out of all of them. I've always had my reservations about him and made it known to my son, who agreed with me to a certain extent and now agrees with me completely. Its a really sad situation and I can't stop thinking about what the parents are going through right now.

I know some of you are probably wondering why I would let my son do those kind of things, but I'm hoping that some of you have the same relationship that I have with my son and know them really well. I've spent hours and hours with him on road race tracks and go-kart tracks going fast, and have ALWAYS stressed how dangerous it is to go fast on the street, and even up in the hills by yourself. He gets it. He never rides with anyone else that he doesn't trust (I always make sure he takes his own car when he goes out) and when he has passengers he always drives slower. Do I worry? Of course, but he's also 21 and is learning about life. A huge lesson today.

Time to hug the kids...

pamp

Reaction score
Teen Drivers

Yeah,
Seems teens do not fear death, take a lot of chances. Sound familiar? I believe a kid is not ready to drive until at least 18 yrs. Legal adult. I am very sorry for the losses, but pessimistic as to less carnage. Human nature vs machine.

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
So sorry to hear that...that is why we sent 18 years to war and not 35 years. Its the "immortality factor and the it cant happen to me" factor. I hope he learned something from this and that it may have saved his life in the future.
abe

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Dan.
I lost a few friends in High School and after.

Never easy. Always difficult.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Time to hug the kids...
You can't say that enough...or too many times or for that matter give enough/get enough hugs these days IMO...

So sorry for the loss as it's three young lives cut short in the interim period between zest for life in the somewhat dangerous pursuits of the teenage years and the caution most of us feel later on in maturity (lessons learned) as each of us has lost someone along the way and wonder what it would have been like to have them physically alongside us over the intervening years.

Thanks for posting this cautionary warning Dan,

No cheers today, sorry...

Ran

steve in reno

Reaction score
No parent should have to bury their child.
The pain and sorrow lasts forever.
A sobering reminder for this time of year.

We have all been their and done things that could have been catastrophic.
My mom never thought I would make it to 18, and now that I am 60 she still worries.

Live life like every day is your last, but not to make it your last!

steve

pamp

Reaction score
Teen Drivers

Please support the Standup Act Of 2009 (H.R. 1895) Go to allstate.com/STANDUP
Last year, more than 4000 teens died in car crashes. The Stand Up Act creates a National Driver Licensing (GDL) law that: Limits nighttime driving, reduces in-car distractions, puts a cap on the number of passengers (friends) in the car and increases the number of required hours of training and supervision. When states have implemented comprehensive GDL programs, the number of fatal crashes among 16 yr olds has dropped by almost 40%
Driving is dangerous, fact. But measures can certainly be taken to limit the carnage. In Canada there is such a national law in place. The GDL needs to be implemented nationwide in the USA.
Sadly,
Al in Comox

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
I get home today from working on my moms car and i hear about what had happened. and The Driver is a good friend of my son's..
My son and Dan boy went to school togeather.
Breaks my heart to see this happen...but knowing the boys.. just is draining my emotions.

Like dan's son, mine has the same mind set about driving..ya he gets his stop sign tickets..but knows, the right thing to do.

I pray
I preach
I worry

i guess we all learn everyday

Barry

Peace

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm very saddened to read this. My heart goes out to each of the families. While my son isn't driving yet, I get the tension between wanting to let them live/experience things for themselves and lecturing all the time. No easy answers and this highlights the possibility of a devastating result.

I'm going to give a couple extra hugs tonight.

piezopaul

Reaction score
So sorry to hear about a tragic loss like this. I want to add my prayers to all those offered here. Its so hard to have our youngsters driving. As an ER doc, I say let them spend a night with a local ED doc friend and they will get to see a little human carnage first hand. I think it helps wear down some of that invunerability. God be with that family.- Paul

BlauMitWeiss

Reaction score
Dan, Barry, I am stunned, speechless. I simply cannot imagine the grave loss your friends, loved ones and community feel.

With Condolences

k