http://www.e9-driven.com down?

jhjacobs

Reaction score
We are having some technical difficulties with the registry and Network Solutions. All data is safe and I hope to have the back-up live within a day or two.

I will say that I cannot personally recommend Network Solutions for web hosting anymore. Fortunately I run hourly off-line backups of the registry. I think I'll put a rust hex on N.S.

John Jacobs - E9-Driven

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been rode hard and put up wet more than a few times in the last couple of years. After moving to CA I had to turn around move to east Tennessee to address with family matters. I can say the east Tennessee has some of the most nicely maintained roads for getting rowdy. Unfortunately my power steering pump started leaking at the end of last year and I've been waiting for the weather to ease up so I can get out and fix it.

I am about ready to host the registry and some of my other web sites on my own server without the help of the Fascist overseers at NS. I am researching using D-DNS to direct it to personal network. I've got an unused 2008 server license, backup systems, large UPS, and truly unlimited business class service so I think I can pull it off. I'm tired of paying $200/year/account for NS lack of service with a charming attitude.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
John,

welcome to the SE region! hopefully you can meet up with some of the southern coupers.

cheers
scott

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. I hope to attend a few events this year.

On the E9-Driven registry the problems persist. Network Solutions is not very responsive. Today I spent over an hour on the phone with them, was transferred 7 times, put on hold 10 times, only to get connected with a lady who said they didn't receive the information I sent them and that I needed to send it again and wait for a 24 hour confirmation that they received what I originally sent a few days ago. After that I can call back and try to work with someone. These people should consider getting government jobs, they are certainly highly qualified in the art of misdirection and passing responsibility to the next guy.

I will keep pushing until the issues are resolved. I looks like Monday/Tuesday next week now. May the Bavarian rust gremlins (oo=00=oo) visit the N.S. server room.

Fingers crossed.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
The E9-Driven registry site is finally back up after many hours/days of bureaucratic agony. I have now purchased a dedicated server and over the next month or two I will be setting it up so I can control the registry's destiny without the gracious and all powerful help of Network Solutions.

Just so everyone understands what happened. The developer, Tom Chao, and I have not been completely happy about how the registry image gallery works so we began working on a new structure. To support this effort I uploaded a bunch of test photos (mostly landscapes and birds) for him into a new directory on the site. Network solutions found this directory and emailed saying it violated their "acceptable use" policy because it was not directly tied to the site. They told me to clean it off or I'd be shut down in 8 days. I pay for 500GB and was not even using 10Gb at the time. Anyway, I immediately erased the directory and 8 days later they suspended the account without further notice. When I called them about it they asked if I got the email and why I increased my level of abuse. Seriously? I asked them to look for the offending directory and they couldn't find it. I asked them how I could have cleaned it up after they disabled my FTP account -- they had no answer. They then gave me a obtuse letter telling me how to ask for removal of the suspension and I complied with in an hour. A few days later I called in and got a 1 hour run around and then they claimed they never received the information I sent them. I resent the information but they want'ed 24 hours to even acknowledge receipt. Since the site it back up I guess they got my letter but they never acknowledged it like they said they would. Now I'm waiting for the customer satisfaction survey.

The moral of the story is do not ever consider purchasing web service from Network Solutions unless you want overseers and minders with punitive policy enforcement powers and smug attitudes. They claim unlimited bandwidth but they seem to throttle both upload and download speeds. To add insult to injury Network solutions just cut their annual service prices by more than half after I just paid for annual renewal. Never again. E9-Driven will be moving. My other business sites at Network Solutions will be moving too.

FWIW, the registry content was never in danger. I been doing daily backups and then backups of the backups on to a RAID server. I regret the service interruption and hope to do better once Network Solutions is not part of the equation.

On an operational note, the registry has grown to a size that we never anticipated. Originally we expected about 400 entries but we how have over 1800. It is definitely time for a site face-lift. Another interesting observation is that we have coupes registered from 53 countries:

Algeria
Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brazil
Bulgaria
Canada
Cayman Islands
Colombia
Croatia
Czech Republic
Denmark
Ecuador
El Salvador
Finland
France
Georgia
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Indonesia
Iran
Ireland
Italy
Jamaica
Japan
Lebanon
Luxembourg
Malaysia
Mexico
Monaco
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Panama
Phillipines
Poland
Portugal
Puerto Rico
Romania
Singapore
South Africa
Spain
Sri Lanka
Sweden
Switzerland
Thailand
Turkey
United Arab Erimates
United Kingdom
United States of America
Uruguay

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Make that 54 countries. Barbados just registered a coupe!

I'm still working on the details of the transition to a local server but I will make it happen. Once it's up and running we'll look at the costs.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you for all the hard work keeping things running smoothly.

I have a small suggestion. It would be helpful if we had a way to track the sale/purchase prices that seem to go ignored by other sites. The recent sale of Blumax (sadly) and TJ's cars indicate a market strength which is largely off the grid of other sites. By comparison, Cavallino tracks sales of F cars with a pathological precision. If we want the true value of these cars to be recognized, we need to take it upon ourselves to make a record.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
perhaps there might be a way to keep a record of the information while also keeping it private to registered coupe owners. in the event of loss, it is extremely valuable to have recent high end sales records ... i agree that Blumax is a good example that would do a lot of good for coupe values - remember, it is an unrestored - high mileage example.

this of course needs the buyer to register the information ... hence the need to maintain some privacy and limit the availability of information. for instance, a date, a price, general condition, restoration / modifications, color + pictures and geographic / regional location in a database w/o names + addresses. this information could only be accessed for specific reasons of comps for loss. why don't we help police the value of what we know best - more than even hagerty. (i hope)

i would register my coupe on this type of database. is this possible - or too much of a hassle?

jhjacobs

Reaction score
We do have an option to enter sale/purchase price in the registry but it is not mandatory. We did not provide a privacy mechanism for this field but possibly could. I suspect few people would be willing or even able to enter this information into the registry if it was private or public. For example, my coupe cost only about $9K in about 2005 but I have about $15K in repairs/restorations and countless hours of my time. What would I put in the record that would be meaningful?

Anyway, if there are some good and practical suggestions we can look into enhancing the registry. On the other hand I think that the best thing might be if a few forum members took it upon themselves to start an informal but structured database of known coupe listings/sales and general details about the cars (condition, location, etc.). If there was a periodically updated database available,maintained to some reasonable standard, it would be pretty easy to make it available for search/browsing.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
John,

i think it is primarily in all of our best interest to track recent high value sales. to help establish the value of well restored coupes ... to help define the value and keep track of it. think of it, any coupe in very nice shape that sells for north of $50k raises the value of all of our coupes.

but it also would work for those of us with really nice drivers ( bought in the last 2 years) ... to show values between 25k + 40k. for some people, a rusty driver (surface rust) might need comparables in case their coupe is damaged by somebody ... and one of us has to fight an insurance company. this is also true if one of our coupes is stolen.

otherwise, we are at the mercy of the insurance companies. look at hagerty's website - a '71 2800cs in condition 1 is 18k to 24k. condition 2 ranges from about 14k to 17k. a '73 3.0cs ranges from 35k to 48k in condition 1 ... while condition 2 ranges from 24k to 30k. csi values are similar. so what happens if you add the value of Blumax to this data ... it will go up. how do we track modifications? 3.5L or 5 speed. what about restorations?

my point is that it is in most of our interest to start keeping track of these things.