How to think about modifications for pricing

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
B375B3A5-70F4-4B4C-BE82-568D68574C28.jpeg

My favorite, the exhaust.

Lots of eye candy out there.

@hlblanton, make sure you get a good one!

Regards, RP

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
It has become difficult to separate the investment cars from the ones owners are just happy to own and drive. Talk of what modifications may yield a better return "down the road" are meaningless to some of us who just don't see parting with the car we like to drive, work on, detail, and talk about. My feeling is, if you are lucky enough to find/buy/own an E9 Coupe, just set it up the way you would like to drive it. ;)

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Talking in general about this
Taste is very personal, it is difficult to anticipate what would be first in the buyers list
some would like fully original, provided how difficult is to keep it that way
here it comes the value of the unrestored examples, original paint and so on
others would like a sleeper, original outer look with an aggresive powertrain, suspension,…
and then more changes also interior,
funny to read the term “tasteful” mods, being taste so personal…
also curious term “this is how bmw would have made it”…

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
excellent this is the best I ever see can you please post more picture of under the car I may learn from you and make my E9 look like it
Candia, thanks for the kind comments about the exhaust. Other than the 2.5" pipes into a 3.0" oval, into the 3.0" round/muffler idea, I can take no credit for the workmanship or design. Tommy at BlueMaxx (Atlanta-area shop) did the eye-catching, beautiful work. It is seriously bad-ass. Credit where it is due. I just paid the invoice.

There are lots of build photographs in the "E9 Projects and Restorations" page.

For this thread I'm hoping we can see the car HLBlanton is considering and some additional teaser-photographs of other forum/member's cars.

RP

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

Adding to @deQuincey’s excellent point. Even mods deemed “tasteful” by the greater collective are still a point-in-time perspective.

Five point wheels were considered “tasteful” at one time. Now I only want to see them on schnitzer anything or a 90’s period Racing Dynamics BMW.

A better approach would be “timeless”
modifications. For the most part, that doesn’t deviate from the same intake/exhaust/displacement/suspension modifications that were executed 30-50 years ago.

There are certain “keep your hands off” elements of the e9. The dashbaord and wood are one example. I personally feel the same way about the door panels, trunk trim, belt line, factory seams, and more.

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
In general, the cars that bring all the money on BaT are the ones where the car looks like a well-executed whole, creating a whole that is greater than the sum of the parts. This is true whether the car is an intact survivor, a nut-and-bolt bone-stock restoration, a tastefully-modified driver, or a no-holds-barred fire-breather. Resale-wise, cars fall short if they claim to be something they're not. The classic is an "open checkbook restoration" where overspray is plainly visible. So, pertaining to E9s, the modifications you list are all likely to increase the value of the car as long as, when the car is sold, the photography shows them as well-executed. But I agree with Marcos' "hands-off" list. When you do carbon fiber dashboards and interior panels that look like they're out of a boat catalog, you're into questions of personal taste.

--Rob

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Oops.
E7C7CFED-057F-4C12-8506-13D055DBAC6C.jpeg
Oops. Beauty is in the eyes of the beer holder.

Just having fun with the audience.

Enjoy those modifications.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
But I agree with Marcos' "hands-off" list. When you do carbon fiber dashboards and interior panels that look like they're out of a boat catalog, you're into questions of personal taste.

--Rob
I'm likely in the minority here, but my list would include a front air dam/chin spoiler. To me they ruin the delicate lines of an E9 and make the front end look out of proportion to the rest of the car and "heavy". (and I'm not even going to mention adding CL style chrome wheel well surrounds and full length decals ;) )

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Talking in general about this
Taste is very personal, it is difficult to anticipate what would be first in the buyers list
some would like fully original, provided how difficult is to keep it that way
here it comes the value of the unrestored examples, original paint and so on
others would like a sleeper, original outer look with an aggresive powertrain, suspension,…
and then more changes also interior,
funny to read the term “tasteful” mods, being taste so personal…
also curious term “this is how bmw would have made it”…
As to the "how BMW would have made it" point, two points come to mind. First, our cars were among the first to implement US specific design changes mandated by the government. In many cases, these changes did not improve the cars, and we can tell how BMW would have designed them without US government interference by looking at European versions of our cars.

The other piece of this is retrofitting changes BMW later implemented, such as alternators with integrated voltage regulators and fixed magnet starters and disk brakes all around.