How to restore BBS RS wheels

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Guys
I bought a set of BBs RS wheels.
Problem: PO had the lips polished. Way too much bling and way too much maintenance (not clear coated)! Is it easy to take the lips back to the original finish? Were they originally machine cut (lathe)?

John

p.smitty

Reaction score
Bbs

I have restored a set of BBS RS wheels and I had the outer ring polished. I wouldn't worry about the polished portion. I have had them on my coupe for 6 months or so and the sheen will "back off" naturally and the maintenance has been non- existent upto now.

What color are the centers? Also, YouTube has some very good instructional videos for the restoration process.

Pat

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Polished lips

I have restored a set of BBS RS wheels and I had the outer ring polished. I wouldn't worry about the polished portion. I have had them on my coupe for 6 months or so and the sheen will "back off" naturally and the maintenance has been non- existent upto now.

What color are the centers? Also, YouTube has some very good instructional videos for the restoration process.

Pat

Pat,
the centers are silver. I had heard that exposed, polished aluminum is a bear to maintain. Hence my preference for a clear coated machined lip. I suppose I could also try just painting them with some automotive clear coat (with maybe a layer of adhesion promoter first).

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You can try Sharkhide, I use it on the aluminum under the hood and it holds up well. Might have to spray it to get it perfect for wheels though.

Pat,
the centers are silver. I had heard that exposed, polished aluminum is a bear to maintain. Hence my preference for a clear coated machined lip. I suppose I could also try just painting them with some automotive clear coat (with maybe a layer of adhesion promoter first).

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score

Pat

+1. These are the unclear-coated polished rims on my M6. The rear rims are newly polished and the fronts have not been, and have "weathered" a bit. One can clearly see the contrast between them. They are definitely harder to maintain than clear coated rims though.

The original RS finish was not mirror polished, but as you had mentioned, a semi-polished machined cut clear coated finish that was slightly flatter looking.

6100313903_d68753a502_b.jpg

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Call these guys, Dave Jenkins did a great job on mine. powder coated BMW OEM silver, 2 coats of clear. Very reasonable price. http://kwicksilverusa.com

Pics are before and after.

Attachments

• BBS M6.jpg
    BBS M6.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_5587.jpg
    IMG_5587.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 202

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Uncleared they will dull...but the patina if not too off can be nice.

Try Never Dull aluminum polish. Treated cotton wadding. Simply pull out a big piece and rub on the rim. Leaves a black residue...rub off and hit with a little detailing spray.

Much simpler and less messy than paste aluminum polish. Easy / quick and the perfect sheen.

Clear coat? Yep, but will ultimately chip, scratch etc.

duane_sword

Reaction score
BBS are my favorite.. but I am tied to Alpina

I have said it before but I will say it again and more times in the future...

The BBS RS rims are the ultimate in the sporting charactered E9 CS - just love em.

Given all of the Alpina theme and Alpina soul in my coupe, alas I will happily maintain the Alpina original rims... but how I love the BBS RS rims...

Only two solutions to my problem.... ask Andrew to let me drive his coupe, or buy a 2nd coupe ;-)