How to insert rubber into window strip?

jmackro

Reaction score
Solution to inserting rubber into window strip - see last

I am struggling with getting the window "wipe" strip into the groove on my chrome piece that mounts on the top/outside of the door (see photo).

It took some effort to get the old strip out, so I shouldn't be surprised that the new one doesn't drop right in. I used a screw driver to gently spring the groove open as I pulled out the old strip out a 1/4" at a time. But, trying that technique to get the new one in doesn't seem to be working. I also tried lubricating the rubber with silicone, and sliding it the length of the metal channel - I can get it 2-3" in, but then it hangs up.

So, how have you solved this problem?

Last edited:

jhjacobs

Reaction score
It's been a while but I believe that I actually opened up the slot a bit with a gasket scraper and the gently bent it back a bit. The track is soft metal and it gives easily. Also, sometimes very soapy water will work even better than silicon.

jmackro

Reaction score
I believe that I actually opened up the slot a bit with a gasket scraper and the gently bent it back a bit. The track is soft metal and it gives easily. Also, sometimes very soapy water will work even better than silicone

OK, I'll try that. Did you use the "poke it down a bit at a time" technique, or the "start it in the groove at the back, and pull it through the length of the channel" technique?

I like the idea of soapy water.

Kent

Site Donor
Reaction score
I found that the "poke it down a bit at a time" technique worked for me. I used a little soapy water in the groove, but try to keep it off the rubber piece because it gets slippery. This technique took time and patience and sore fingers, but well worth the outcome. Start from the top of the rubber (pointed side) and work down. I have found that BMW graciously gives you an inch or so of extras rubber on their replacement parts, so if you need to trim the rubber, it will be on the end inside the door.

jmackro

Reaction score
Soapy water really works!

Remember in the movie "The Graduate", where the older guy comes up to the Dustin Hoffman character and says "I have just two words for you Ben - two words: soapy water". For years, I wondered what the *&^I)%$ the guy meant by that. But, today I figured it out - Ben was trying to install the rubber window scraper into the chrome finish piece on the top of an e9 door. And, the old guy had the secret (as old guys tend to do).

Yea, soapy water made ALL the difference. It worked WAY better than silicone. I even was able to install one scraper by simply starting it in the groove at the back of the metal piece, and pulling it through with a pair of pliers. The second one jammed when it got about halfway down using that technique, so I did it with the "poke it in with a screwdriver" method. The soapy water really helped it to go into the groove in that direction too.

Another big thanks to the collective wisdom of the e9 board!

Last edited:

simoniko

Reaction score
i

I did that a month ago , you have two choices:
1. Put some oil or hand creme on it and slide it from one of the sides !
2. or gently pull it inside with small not so sharp skrew-driver inch by inch!

Good luck
Simeon

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I had a similar issue getting the rubber inserted into the trim that goes between the front and read windows. I ended up sticking the rubber in the freezer and using soapy water in an attempt to make it fit. It was still a bear.

pmansson

Reaction score
Careful when cutting the rubber ends

If you use the pull method, let the rubber liner settle for a while before cutting the ends off to match the chrome bar´s lenght. It will shrink with time, (having been stretched when pulled).
Or just leave a bit at the "pull end", and cut it weeks later.
Speaking from experience !