How do you restore tool kits ?

atan888

Reaction score
Need some advice again :D I finally found one on ebay but since its over 30yrs old it need to be restored? Whats the proper way to restore them? Thanks in advance.

BonitaCS

Reaction score
Who was it that did such a beautiful job? TomP? He had a bunch of photos of the restoration process. I'd like to know what the was the blue goo he used to fix the cracks and mend the corners?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Adam

Reaction score
ditto about peter's toolbox resto. he did a superb job with mine. i couldn't be happier.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tool Box Restoration

You can use JB Weld, just build up enough new material then dremel/file/sand back to correct thickness. Shoot with SEM Warm Gray (or Storm Gray, can't remember which). Adding thin sheet metal to hidden backside of box with JB will strengthen the mounting points as well. And take Murray's advice, keep the tools in a tool bag in your trunk.

michael

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used a flexible foil faced "peel & stick" material, similar to the material used to wrap HVAC ducts, to line the back of the tool box, particularly at mounting points. IMHO, it provided a more flexible reinforcement than a metal plate backing, which might in fact add too much rigidity.

I also never load up the toolkit and keep the tools in a separate bag in the trunk.