HOT Spark Electronic Ignition

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks like a Pertonix with false claims about never having to adjust your timing again?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Slightly cheaper than Petronix units(Clarence you thinking of purchasing?) . BTW. anyone have an opinion on optimal coil for a petronix system? I use the standard coil and ballast resistor in my 72 Bav, always looking for some improvement though cannot complain about how it runs now.

johnl

Reaction score
I have sold the Pertronix line for decades and here is what I can tell you. Pertronix or any other brand out there are all probably good. Which is your flavor, Ford or Chevy?

In theory if your distributor is in good working order and one of these units is installed nothing should change over time. You will still have wear on the rotor and distributor cap but that should be it. Now with that said if you have or develop bad or worn bushings timing will alter as that problem increases.

I can also tell you that from time to time some customers will return a Pertronix stating it is defective. Their warranty is 30 month and never a hassle. Each unit that is supposedly defective is sent to Pertronix and tested. Virtually none of them are bad per the report that Pertronix advises us of. I think they just write it off as the cost of doing business. Millions of these units have been sold over the years and in most cases the problem is elsewhere.

In recent times I purchased another hot rod VW with a 2276cc motor on 48 IDA Webers producing 140 HP at the wheels on a chassis dyno. When I purchased the car it was equipped with a 009 Bosch distributor and a Compufire. There were problems and the distributor was replaced with a new 009 and things improved but didn't completely go away. In the case of this motor it turned out to be a carb problem that has now been fixed. So was the Compufire bad, I doubt it....

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Many thanks for the Petronix info. Been quite satisfied with it........

chope97

Reaction score
Just passing info along

No Bob not planning on buying this just found it and wondered if anyone had used it. I hope to put an electronic system on my car in the spring. I still have the Allison unit from the Bavaria we owned for 20 years that got too rusty to keep It was a 73 Polaris silver with blur interior 4 speed. My current project is a 71 Malaga 3.3 5 speed Bav that was restored by the PO then in an accident then he gave it to me 10 years ago. did front body work including replacing radiator support now replacing gas tank and waiting for nice weather. How are you doing with all that snow? We in Md are snowless.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
My driveway was mistaken for a luge, bunch of Olympic guys with a bobsled wanted to rent it out........that's how we are doing. 500 bucks to store my cars, money well spent.

NB: While on the subject, I actually used ice and rain shield in place of the foam gasket when I replaced my gas tank. Let it hang about 1/4 inch over the trunk opening and dropped the tank in. Created a water-tight seal.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
For roofing. It goes under the front edge shingles. Rubber/tar based sheet with sticky and non stick sides. Should find it at Home Depot .