Horsehair padding

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was listening to a discussion about the stuffing in our seats and how foam pads are not the best choice for replacing the original horsehair stuffing. When you see little piles of tan debris under your front seat, it is an indication that the horsehair is breaking down.

After Googling, I found a couple of site that make replacement pads for Mercedes but so far nothing for our coupes. Does anyone have experience with this? Are competent reupholsterers using horsehair still? Could it be as simple as acquiring horsehair and stuffing it in or must a layered pad be made first? Burlap, then horsehair then cotton?
Inquiring minds want to know

http://www.chaircaningandsupplies.com/curled_horse_hair.php

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Today's foam is much stronger and is used by most if not all auto upholstery shops. It can be layered with other materials.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stan,

The "horsehair" material available from BMW (whatever it actually is) is covered/dipped in a rubberized material which makes it very long lasting. It is also shaped to the correct contours. The "horsehair" pads for the 2002 remain available. My upholsterer used those to re-do the seats on my 3.0 Si and they turned out stellarly. The OEM pads provide a unique combination of firmness and compliance, coupled with durability, that foam alone can't. That curled horsehair doesn't look nearly stiff enough to cut it.

There was a thread on the German coupe forum a year or two ago about using E60 pads as well but there were no pictures or details.

'02 horsehair pads don't fit perfectly as they are so they need to be skillfully modified to fit. Not something that I would attempt myself but a skillful auto upholsterer may be able to do it.

IMG_2152.JPG

IMG_2153.JPG

IMG_2154.JPG

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pretty neat Luis. My 2002 seats look amazing (They are original) but feel very sacked. Wonder how likely it is you can get the stock vinyl on and off again and change the padding without destroying it?

Last edited:

LarryE9E10

Reaction score
Removing '02 seat seat covers

I had no trouble (slowly and carefully) removing the seat covers safely from my tii in order to replace the horsehair pads, other than the scarring on my fingers and hands caused by the incredibly sharp hog rings. The hard part is putting those rings back through the same holes when you put the covers back on, as there's not a lot of extra material or space to make new holes.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good to know Larry. I will put this on the list if I keep the car (still deciding)