Horn carbon contact pin

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there
I am looking for a horn contact. Stupid me; Its quite exposed when the column and dash are apart and...I...bumped...it :rolleyes: New at USD52 is a bit rich. Are there any used ones around?

THX

Bill

1609201049618.png

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Don't sweat it, I broke mine too. Took me a while to find one, but bought new. Used ones could be just as brittle as yours was.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don't sweat it, I broke mine too. Took me a while to find one, but bought new. Used ones could be just as brittle as yours was.
I agree, some of the plastic, vinyl wrapped parts of a 48 year old car simply are "timed out". Like an old set of tires. I worry about used fan blades, dashboards, if they have not cracked yet, probably will when put through the exercise of an installation into another vehicle. I mean, how long should this material last, indefinitely? Time for new stuff. May not be original, but up to owner to source best replacements. Somewhere, I am sure I have a used horn contact, but would be hard to sell + ship as there is no way of knowing if it would really last. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary. ;)

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes. It is quite easy to break it.

I would expect ones from other old Exx BMW models will fit. Just to rivet/screw it back.

I bought used column from E21 but here it is also broken, but if you would provide some dimension I can at least compare if the ones from E21 will fit.

Last edited:

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks all! I'm not sweating it. Its another repair which I do not mind. It was my fault. Just surprised at the cost of new...I know I have spent more :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Bill

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is the first part I bought for my 2800CS after getting it home back in 2014. I didn't know what parts I might need yet and was browsing for parts online and when I saw the horn slip ring contact I figured it would be a good start since it's likely to wear over time, or be broken.
As the first part I bought, I didn't capture the price in my spreadsheet that I have later purchases in, but I'm sure that it wasn't anywhere near as expensive as the price above as I didn't know yet if I'd need it. Turns out I did.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is an eBay seller in DE with 7 of these for about 21€ each plus shipping. If enough bought them, the EU ($10) and the EU-USA shipping ($35) could be amortized down to $5 or less. Guesstimate total price under $30/ea. Still pricey. How many of you want a spare in your parts stash?

Seems ripe for a group buy, facilitated by one of our EU members.

John

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Same here, mine broke while replacing something else. I was surprised to see it was installed with rivets.
The factory believed it would last forever?
It is also unfair that it wears regardless of how much you use horn.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
One of our esteemed EU members is looking into a small group buy. No confirmation of price or quantity yet.

If he can work it out I’m up for 1 as a spare.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bill
We bought out that EU seller late last fall and all promptly sold to members here for my cost (and I kept one for myself and gave one away as charity). They are still avail here, but for twice the price we paid.

John

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Of course im in Europe, but if there is interest i think i can get them cheaper here, around 32 euro each. If there are more interested parties in the US, then we could bundle (would only make some sense if i ship 10 in one go)

Willing to be the middle man.
Erik.

Last edited: