Hood and grill set any not OEM options?

RTHLSS1

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi,

Are there any cheaper options than OEM side and hood grills? Found that member @Orangener was selling them but cant reach him.

I have white car and there are black grills on (poor shape) but I would prefer chromed ones I think... also is there a way to check if car was originally in white color?

Thanks guys

Wladek

Reaction score
Hi,

Are there any cheaper options than OEM side and hood grills? Found that member @Orangener was selling them but cant reach him.

I have white car and there are black grills on (poor shape) but I would prefer chromed ones I think... also is there a way to check if car was originally in white color?

Thanks guys
1. If you have original plate as below (A-post, drivers side door, between door hinges) - then check what number is written in position "KUNSTHARZLACK", by that number you can check original colour.
karmann_1d.jpg

2. You can write an e-mail to BMW CLASSICS section ([email protected]), give them your's car VIN and they will reply you with couple of useful information's (including colour).

Last edited:
Reactions: JDH

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
currently, the chrome fender grilles are not available, only black. hood grilles are available in both chrome + black ... in all cases, black was less expensive. w+n currently has both. either looks great on a white coupe, although the chrome side grilles only look good if the black 'blind' is put on the fender behind the grille. take a look at the pics of Stan's gr8white ... as pretty as a white coupe gets, with the red interior

RTHLSS1

Site Donor $
Reaction score
1. If you have original plate as below (A-post, drivers side door, between door hinges) - then check what number is written in position "KUNSTHARZLACK", by that number you can check original colour.View attachment 30928

2. You can write an e-mail to BMW CLASSICS section ([email protected]), give them your's car VIN and they will reply you with couple of useful information's (including colour).

On mine number 85 is seen last one I cant read... I will send them email.

Thanks

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chamonix have colour code 085, so white is original colour.
My coupe is Polaris, euro. My chrome hood grilles were in great shape. Sides not so much. I found a great local chrome shop. They used some kind of nickel plating. Expen$ive but worth it. So if you can pick up a pair of shabby ones think about re-chroming. Steve

RTHLSS1

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Chamonix have colour code 085, so white is original colour.

Yes, I got confirmation from BMW: The BMW 3.0 CSi VIN 2261124 was manufactured on January 04th, 1972 and delivered on January 14th, 1972 to Italy. The original colour was Chamonix, paint code 085.

RTHLSS1

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My coupe is Polaris, euro. My chrome hood grilles were in great shape. Sides not so much. I found a great local chrome shop. They used some kind of nickel plating. Expen$ive but worth it. So if you can pick up a pair of shabby ones think about re-chroming. Steve

Tried that sad thing is no one in our country works on re-chroming plastic. Found one but he said bring me new piece not used one haha :)

I will just sand them and paint them black for now ...

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
There a number of chrome look spray paints available now that are surprisingly shiny. I plan to use some to refurbish the reflectors in my tail lights.
I'll have to deal with my grills at some point but don't think that they would look good with too high a gloss. I may paint them black as the car is Chamonix but they are currently chrome. I have a missing piece, so I'll see if I can create a replacement part good enough to pass inspection.

Ian

RTHLSS1

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There a number of chrome look spray paints available now that are surprisingly shiny. I plan to use some to refurbish the reflectors in my tail lights.
I'll have to deal with my grills at some point but don't think that they would look good with too high a gloss. I may paint them black as the car is Chamonix but they are currently chrome. I have a missing piece, so I'll see if I can create a replacement part good enough to pass inspection.

Ian

I have same color and think black will look fine... mine were also broken and parts were missing but I manage to get them back in shape

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the new ones are plastic, the original old ones are metal. you can get new chrome hood grilles from W+N, i just got a new pair ... but you cannot get chrome fender grilles ... so i may try to have my fender grilles chromed as i believe they are original metal ones.

with a chamonix coupe, i would think that black hood / fender grilles + black wipers would look the best.

Reactions: JDH

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
There probably aren't many Daft Punk fans here, buck check out this company in CA. They work in the movie business and can chrome plate just about anything.

I haven't contacted them because I figure BMW will have chrome fender grilles by the time that I need them. The cool part about this company is that you can actually chrome plate the plastic rather than traditional metalized (think OEM plastic "chrome").

https://www.artcraftplating.com/plating-non-metallics/