Home Powder Coating

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Finally powder coated my first part in my garage today. I am very happy with the results and think this will really be pleasurable to take off componentry one piece at a time and refinish it in house. For me , many steps were involved getting the system working, but it is pretty darn simple and inexpensive if you shop Craigslist. I started with a used Oven for $50. . Hooking it up cost about another $50. Small pieces can be done in a toaster oven. (You are advised to never put food in the oven after it is used for powder coating)

I bought a small inexpensive blast cabinet at Tractor Supply for about $100.
(http://www.tractorsupply.com/jobsmart-reg-benchtop-abrasive-blasting-cabinet-32-lb-capacity-3951103)

Hooking it up to the compressor took quite a while as I ran 3/4 steel pipe throughout my shop and must have gone back and forth to Home Depot 50 times over the last 4 months adding one fitting at a time and tracking down leaks. The cabinet does need a good compressor, but maybe you don't really need one if you can strip the parts down to bare metal with a wire brush, etc. A Bead blast cabinet is an amazing tool for dealing with rusty parts though. Wish mine was bigger already. (Check TPtools.com for nice US made cabinets and supplies)

The Powder coat gun is made by Eastwood. They were on sale around Christmas for $125.00.(Currently about $160)
http://www.eastwood.com/dual-voltage-hotcoat-powder-gun.html
Eastwood has a fantastic assortment of Powders. Most colors are available for around $10.00 per bottle. The powder goes a long way, so it is quite a bit cheaper than spray paint, with next to no fumes and the part is ready as soon as it cools.

To Powder coat a clean part, you hang it from a wire, hook a lead up to it to magnetize the part, point the gun at it and pull the trigger (The gun only needs about 5-8 PSI and a minimal compressor). Pop it in the oven at 400f for 20 minutes and a really Pro looking finish comes out. I hope it is as durable as professionally applied powder coat. Getting it in the Oven without knocking off the powder is the hard part. I wish my oven and blast cabinet were bigger because I'd love to re-do my valve cover. Thinking about making an insulated extension for the Oven door to accommodate a part this long. On Youtube, others have made an oven for long parts with an insulated stove pipe hooked up to a Hot Plate.

I plan on buying a good assortment of powders to keep on hand as well as a lot of their paints to do as much as I can in house. The part I did today was a bracket I made for my Miata. The first E9 part I do will be the power steering reservoir cover. I am leaning toward Semi Gloss, but might go slightly duller Satin. Pretty sure the original sheen was Semi Gloss. Anyone know for sure?

Will post a photo of the Miata bracket later.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hmmm ... Bob,

sounds like you might be creating a small business opportunity. the downside is that you will have less time to work on your coupe.

cheers
scott

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well my Dad just started his second new business in the last few years and he was born in 31'. The seed fell very far from the tree in my case though. Doing this for money would turn sour fast.

Here is the finish on my first part. It is what holds the front plate on my Miata , so will not be seen. The visible imperfections are weld splatter.

P1080103.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
now wait just a minute ... who said anything about doing this for money. we're talking about helping all of your new best friends.

cheers mate,
scott

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That would be far more enjoyable. I do have an abundance of oil filter housing Orange, so once I get the system working to my satisfaction, I could see doing some of those.