Help with lower door seal holder installation

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am seeking advice on how to fit the door seal holder and its exact location.
On the bottom edge of the doors is a rubber flap seal that slides into a slot. This slot is a piece of folded U shape steel strip that is attached to the door bottom.
Part number of seal A51216740185
My first problem, my car does not have the U section steel, there is no rust or witness marks, soI guess a PO remove them during renovation. I have bought the metal seal holder from Jaymic.
Can anyone suggest a suitable way to attach the U shape steel strip? Welding will burn the paint, self tapping screws will create a hole and perhaps rust, although that is how the sill covers are installed, pop rivets will also require holes to be drilled in the door base. What is the factory method to fit them please?
Then can anyone give a guide of the exact location of the seal holder? Is it critical?

Thanks Charles

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Charles,

Does this thread help you with the placement?
https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/h...t-rail-for-lower-door-seal.19160/#post-136464

I attached them by welding, but I think pop rivets would be a good solution even if it needs drilling in the door. I'd drill, then put some good quality paint on the raw metal around the holes and let it dry, after that put some long lasting grease/wax and then install the strip with pop rivets.
Another thing I can think of is the double sided tape that's used to put on trunk spoilers and such, I think it's a 3M product. But it still feels a little bit risky if there is alot of stress put on the strip when closing the door. It could be catastrophic if the strip would come loose while closing/slamming the door.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you Robert
I did try a search but did not find this thread.
I am inclined to agree, drill holes, paint, waxoil and then pop rivets.
I have stainless pop rivets but think aluminium would be easier and may also work like a sacrificial annode if there is corrosion going on.
Regards
Charles

Rek

Reaction score
I have a question related to this - I have the holder and the seals but do they face inwards or outwards? By this I mean the way the leading edge of the seal face and so whuich way they are inserted in the holder.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I installed this holders. I used very small aluminium pop rivers, with plenty of waxoil on both surfaces and also the rivets.
Painted the holders first with self etching primer and then two coats of 2k paint from a rattle can.

Putting the strips in was interesting.
First I tried sliding them from one end and only got them half way in.
Then I tried pushing in from the side, fingers got too tired.
Finally I pushed them in from the side, one edge first and the inward tighter angled edge with a bicycle tyre lever, that was actually fairly easy.
I put them in with the leading edge inwards towards the car, not sure if this is correct but I think it will work.

Once again I got the help I needed here.
Regards
Charles

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
I installed mine away from inside thinking it would deflect/shed any water from the door weep holes better when closed but also am not sure.

EBDD70F9-B707-445D-A10C-10C9DFA372CB.jpeg
5BF779CE-A759-4A0E-9F7E-68306028CE52.jpeg