Help! Front Rotors needed!

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
Link no longer valid.

Thanks @teahead for the mention and sorry about that missing link however we haven't launched our online store yet but hope to do so before The Vintage. In the meantime, please contact me at [email protected]. The caliper spacer kits are $145 shipped in CONUS. Here is a pic of the kit. This kit works for either the early or late 6-cylinder calipers, those held together with bolts and nuts (early) and those held together with just bolts into threaded holes (late)

Attachments

• Big Brake Caliper Spacer Kit.jpg
    Big Brake Caliper Spacer Kit.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 125

vanbavaria

Site Donor
Reaction score
Link no longer valid.

Thanks @teahead for the mention and sorry about that missing link however we haven't launched our online store yet but hope to do so before The Vintage. In the meantime, please contact me at [email protected]. The caliper spacer kits are $145 shipped in CONUS. Here is a pic of the kit. This kit works for either the early or late 6-cylinder calipers, those held together with bolts and nuts (early) and those held together with just bolts into threaded holes (late)
I’m a little confused. Would this work for the Bavaria? The front calipers are 4 cylinder type. And if so the kit would then accommodate a 3.0CS front vented rotor?

Attachments

• 9FDD439E-3A5B-430A-9BDF-4329347E45B6.png
    9FDD439E-3A5B-430A-9BDF-4329347E45B6.png
    279.1 KB · Views: 116

Bearmw

Reaction score
I rebuilt my E3 calipers and I used 10mm spacers from I think an E24 and am using early E24 280 x22 mm rotors. I have yet to put them on the car and I think Mike Goble said the calipers may need slight clearancing. Not sure where I got the proper hardened bolts from. Seals were from eBay.

The original Ribe bolts were a pain in the ass to get out.

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
Would this work for the Bavaria?

It seems I have caused some confusion with the "6 cylinder" reference. Should have said Big Six calipers perhaps. All of these calipers are the four-piston variety. (Never heard of the bores being called cylinders though.) The same calipers that were used on the early sixes (cylinders, that is) were also used on the 2002ti/tii/Turbo. The only difference in application was that some calipers were vented, i.e., used spacers, and some were not. So, yes, any early Big Six caliper can be turned into a vented caliper using these spacer kits. The same can be done with the calipers on the later six-cylinder BMWs though they used wider pads and were a heavier caliper.

The original Ribe bolts were a pain in the ass to get out.
Yes, the very definition of "tortuous". We use induction heating to ease the removal process and then throw them into the neighbor's pool. We replace them with hardened hex drive bolts.

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
What rotor (year/model or PN) do you specify that works with your kit?

Good question. If I'm not mistaken, any vented rotor that was made for an early six should work with the spacer kit because they all used the same caliper with either vented or non-vented rotors. Basically, the spacers provide an added 10mm of width to the calipers to accomodate the vented rotors.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Any problems- let me know.

Attachments

• F08CECE5-480A-4D01-A444-330B6E43FCF7.jpeg
    F08CECE5-480A-4D01-A444-330B6E43FCF7.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 106