Help: Are these Genuine Alpinas

Johnny D

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My inexperience is killing me at he moment, and i have been dealt some serious blows in his E9 jungle.
On that basis i would really like some advise on how to tell genuine Alpinas, from the numerous fakes that are out there.
I would like to think that the price normally gives it away, but there are big variations in prices, and sometimes there are some
good deals out there.
Therefore, I have posted this example of Alpinas and would be grateful for any direction and advise on what to look out for .

Thanks

Attachments

• s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 165
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 156
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 152
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 130
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 139

shermanmartinez

Reaction score
A fake or copy with the Alpina logo cast in? Those in BMW world would fear Herr Bovensiepen's attorneys to do such a ridiculous thing like that.
Now, Ronal, the company that makes the wheels for Alpina did sell wheels that were identical to the Alpina wheels they were contracted to make years ago and those wheels were even carried by some distributors such as Hardy & Beck, Miller & Norburn, and Korman. The wheels did not have the Alpina logo cast into the mounting center but the back side of the wheel was the same with the Ronal logo and the month and year of casting shown on the back side of one of the spokes.

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Having recently been schooled a bit by @tferrer , I know enough to make just two observations. They are real, but post 1973-4 versions, and are mismatched: note the spoke/barrel areas on each wheel. The wheel with part number 3611602 is quite different than the others marked 3611603, the spoke to barrel section is flat; the others have a subtle curve where the spoke meets the barrel. Earlier versions have a more distinct curve at that area, and also lack the additional five small holes, i.e, five hole VS ten hole as they're described. So for CSL's, only the five-hole ones apply. YMMV.

See here: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/early-alpina-wheels.33845/

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Having recently been schooled a bit by @tferrer , I know enough to make just two observations. They are real, but post 1973-4 versions, and are mismatched: note the spoke/barrel areas on each wheel. The wheel with part number 3611602 is quite different than the others marked 3611603, the spoke to barrel section is flat; the others have a subtle curve where the spoke meets the barrel. Earlier versions have a more distinct curve at that area, and also lack the additional five small holes, i.e, five hole VS ten hole as they're described. So for CSL's, only the five-hole ones apply. YMMV.

See here: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/early-alpina-wheels.33845/

These are staggered 16’s. Different ballpark than 7x14’s…