Hello to all

BinksE9

Reaction score
I want to introduce myself first and then I will talk about my E9. My name is Ed Kaufmann and I'm local to the Bay Area, born in Oakland, a long time ago. I grew up across the street from the owner of Weber Motors in San Leandro, one of the first BMW dealers in the Bay Area. Before he was a dealer he had a independent German car repair shop in Hayward. He came over with the Porsche factory race team in the 50's. It was not unusual for him to have a Race 904 or 906 on a trailer parked in front of the house on a Sunday night after a race at Cotati or Golden Gate Park or even Candlestick Park. I guess that's where I got the car bug. What a way to grow up. I started working at Weber's in 1972 part time starting at the bottom. I've worked on BMW's for close to 45 years. I no longer have a job working on them. I kind of miss that although it has beat the body up a little bit. I have owned a lot of all types of BMW's. I may have worked on this one when it was new.
The car is a 1973 Atlantik Blue 5 speed non sunroof car. When I purchased the car the first time it had already been modified with 3 piece H&B 16 inch wheels, staggered set, lowered with Bilstein shocks, not sure what springs were used back then, it also has big sway bars, dual Weber carbs, headers and it has a limited slip diff. I put the 5 speed in just after I bought the car. Before me the car had sat in a shop for years. I sold the car about six month later. I now own it again. In the last almost 20 years it has been garage kept and driven only about 10K miles. It could use a paint job, the A/C parts are missing although most of the A/C console is still there. Also it does need some sorting out from sitting so long. It does run and drive well. This car is just about rust free, small spot on a fender. I'm not sure about what the long term plans will be.
I too I'm not a very tech savvy guy, hope I don't screw too much up.
Thanks for accepting me to the Forum, I will do my best to contribute.

BinksE9

Reaction score
I have added some photo's as you can tell. I tried to do this in my first post but found it difficult as my 9 week old puppy wanted to help.

Attachments

• IMG_20220521_171929830_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220521_171929830_HDR.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20220521_133857333_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220521_133857333_HDR.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20220515_100319869_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220515_100319869_HDR.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20220314_114746343.jpg
    IMG_20220314_114746343.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 136

BinksE9

Reaction score
Now that's what I call an introduction. Lots of stuff you can sink your teeth into. Welcome and congratulations on re-acquiring your car.

As to your air conditioning, much of the wisdom of the forum is accumulated here: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/air-conditioning-upgrade-photos-details.9633/

And there of lots of us technologically challenged car guys here.
Thanks, sometimes I can get a little long winded, I did cut it short. I will reach out or in when I can help or need help. I kinda want to put a non A/C console in. I will look at that A/C info. Thanks again. Bink

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks, sometimes I can get a little long winded, I did cut it short. I will reach out or in when I can help or need help. I kinda want to put a non A/C console in. I will look at that A/C info. Thanks again. Bink
I have a non-a/c console, but the vinyl needs work. Message me if you are interested. Would swap for yours if you want. Yours is probably more valuable, but we could work something out.