Hello - New Member '72 3.0 CS Chamonix

5280JB

Reaction score
Hello to the forum! Just wanted to post an intro to the group as I have recently acquired an E9 Coupe and look forward to getting to know the car and this community as a new owner and member. The car is a 1972 3.0 CS Coupe, Chamonix White over Blue leather interior. Converted to 5-speed trans.

It's an ironic "small world" story how I came to be this car's caretaker/owner: As a long time BMW enthusiast, I was doing some internet surfing back in 2008 when I came across a handful of pics of a white E9 coupe parked on a lawn, near a palm tree - just a gorgeous combination. Something about that particular coupe just really struck me. The stance, the color combination, the unique wood trim in the interior, whatever it was, I just thought "If I ever own an E9, I'd want it to look just like this one." I saved the 5 or 6 small pics onto my hard drive and over the years would occasionally pull them up and admire "The White E9" parked on the lawn somewhere around Santa Barbara, CA. I didn't have any other info on the car other than it was near Santa Barbara in 2008.

Fast forward to 2020 and I see a white E9 come up on BaT's auction site. Pics of the interior show a blue interior with custom wood trim - Could it be "The White E9?" Like a laboratory crime scene detective, I zoom in closely on the grain of the wood trim on the BaT car's door and compare it to my 2008 pics like comparing fingerprints - it IS the same car! At that time, however, I wasn't in a position to bid on the car and could only watch as it sold from its then home in Vancouver, British Columbia. At least the car had surfaced and still looked great.

A few weeks later, the owner of the shop that works on my E28 and E24 texts me a pic of a white E9 and says "Look at this beauty that just came into my shop - I knew you'd appreciate it." It was the same car - the winning bidder on BaT was in Denver, Colorado where I live! I told him "I know that car! Been lusting after it for years!" I sent him the pics I had from 2008 and asked him to forward on to the new owner as I though he'd like to see it from 2008. As an afterthought, I said "Tell the new owner to contact me if/when he's ever ready to sell that car." That never happens, but I thought I'd at least put it out there.

A few months go by and I get a text out of the blue from my friend the BMW shop owner - "Call me." The local owner (a long time collector) was looking to downsize his fleet and the white E9 coupe was available for sale. "You are first in line because you asked me to tell the owner to contact you" was what I heard. Timing was better this time and a few days later I was parking "The Santa Barbara White E9" in my garage.

I have met some forum members over the years via the E28 community, E24 community, or at events such as Monterey, Legends of the Autobahn, Amelia Island, etc. Look forward to sharing some coupe stories and experiences with the crew here!

Apologies for the long intro but I just wanted to share the car's back story and how I came to be its next caretaker.

Some pics here, including a shot with my friends' beautiful Silver Coupe alongside.

Jim Bair
Denver, Colorado (5,280 feet elevation)

Attachments

• IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    339.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    376.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0128.jpeg
    IMG_0128.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 141

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
@5280JB Finally! I was wondering when you'd start posting here. I guess it only takes a day when you're stuck inside because the high temperature has a "-" before the number.

@DWMBMW Good eye, that is my car - you may have met Jim in 2016 when you stopped in Boulder for the Road to Monterey. He was with me when I came over to meet up with Andrew and Cindy.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Jim--Welcome to the forum. I remember your car on BaT because of the custom wood trim. Do you know what species the wood is?---Drew

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great looking Chamonix. There's something about a really clean coupe in white. Nice wheels too.

Wood kind of looks like curly etimoe. And no, that's not a Three Stooges joke.

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Jim, I remember looking at this car in detail and admiring how clean it seemed. I have the exact same color combo and steering wheel and my Blanca is wearing BBS RZs. soon she will have staggered RSs. You have a beautiful car and I appreciate your story. I suspect that things were meant to be. I’d love to have a coffee table book of all of the many e9s that have unique acquisition storie. I’ve envisioned an oversized hard cover book about 1” thick. I’d want pics of your car and so many others in it. For now, Andrew Wilson’s calendar has to suffice. Welcome and please share more pics.

mark

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
@5280JB Finally! I was wondering when you'd start posting here. I guess it only takes a day when you're stuck inside because the high temperature has a "-" before the number.

@DWMBMW Good eye, that is my car - you may have met Jim in 2016 when you stopped in Boulder for the Road to Monterey. He was with me when I came over to meet up with Andrew and Cindy.

I believe I do remember talking with Jim at the hotel when you were catching up with Andrew and Cindy.
E03F3EC6-00BA-4F88-BDEE-99CE4E3631CD.jpeg

5280JB

Reaction score
Thanks for the greetings, guys! Some additional info:
I remember your car on BaT because of the custom wood trim. Do you know what species the wood is?---Drew
Although I have a thick binder of this car's history, I don't see anything specific on the wood type used. I do know that it was done during its mid '90's restoration by Madera Concepts in Goleta, CA. I've sent Madera some pics and a request for more info in hopes to confirm it. I know this car's custom wood trim is polarizing and not everyone likes it, but I'm in the "love it" camp and am very happy with it.

By the way, Drew, I think we might have met last month at the Hilton Head Legends of the Autobahn show. Was your coupe the beautiful Turkis car with the Hawaiian (Koa?) wood trim interior? I was just there as a spectator - did not have a car on display.

@DWMBMW - I believe I do remember talking with Jim at the hotel when you were catching up with Andrew and Cindy.
Yes! That was the day - I have some pics with those same coupes lined up. Also saw the cars a few days later in Monterey. Must have been a fun road trip for you guys!

A little more history on the car: First owner was in Santa Barbara. Car was Chamonix, but was soon after painted in Polaris to match another BMW the couple owned at the time (!). Second owner was a nearby neighbor who had long admired the car and bought it in '92. He did a complete restoration (at 108k miles) returning it to Chamonix, engine rebuild, 5-speed swap (was automatic), refinished interior, and more. It then went to Vancouver, B.C. in 2013. I am thrilled to be next in line to care for it. It currently has 112k miles.

5280JB

Reaction score
I’d love to have a coffee table book of all of the many e9s that have unique acquisition storie. I’ve envisioned an oversized hard cover book about 1” thick.
Mark: That's a great idea! Part of the appeal of the car hobby is the back story of how/why/when cars came into their owner's lives. That would make for a very interesting read!

Mine have been a combination of lengthy, surgical strike searches and plain dumb luck. Always enjoy hearing about other's car history stories.

tdog

Reaction score
Jim congrats, I have seen this car next to mine in denver at paddock motors before you took possession. Anyway great vehicle and we must get our white e9’s out together for a cruise in the new year. Same color combo!!

Attachments

• 3B78FB6D-DC15-4D0C-B1AA-8B4D813088E4.jpeg
    3B78FB6D-DC15-4D0C-B1AA-8B4D813088E4.jpeg
    433.1 KB · Views: 95
  • DAECE7CD-39B4-4451-A12B-EE04693A75C1.jpeg
    DAECE7CD-39B4-4451-A12B-EE04693A75C1.jpeg
    461.8 KB · Views: 97

5280JB

Reaction score
we must get our white e9’s out together for a cruise in the new year. Same color combo!!

You're on! Beautiful car of yours and great to know of another local E9!

Paddock's shop does get some interesting classic/vintage cars through his doors, doesn't he?

Jim