Hello from the Okanagan BC

Mauler

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A Lurker no more!

Hi, I'm Paul from the Okanagan. It's pretty well a desert valley in the interior of BC, but with a great lake and fantastic skiing. And now home to a new e9.

74 e9 3.0CS.jpg

I've been looking for an e9 for several months now, but it's exhausting work trying to do it from Canada, and get a deal that has a high wife approval factor. Fortunately, I have a 15 y.o. son with whom I colluded with in order to appease she-who-must-be-obeyed. We thought we'd get something that could keep us busy for a while fixing it up and then have something we could be proud of when finished. He wanted a Porsche Turbo S of course, but it's not good to achieve all your dreams at an early age, so we settled on the e9.

Several PPI's and other flights and road trips found only the extremes of what was for sale. The really nice CSi in Calgary was too good. The beater in Surrey was terrible. Missed out on the Montreal CS in May by 2 hours. It sold for $25,000 CDN which is about $10,000 USD to you Americans. It was relisted for $42,000 USD a few weeks later. You pretty well have to check the listings twice a day.

A heartfelt thanks to Markos and sfdon. Markos reposted a craiglist ad from Napa, for a '74 CS. I got home late, checked the forum and found it soon after the original post. emailed the seller and politely asked Don if he new anything about it. He was amazing and offered to go up to Napa on the weekend to do a PPI for me. The seller was so impressed with Don he said they talked for two hours. Don gave me the thumbs up as it was a good runner with plenty of little things that could keep my son and I entertained for hours.

A hand shake was made over the phone and soon money was being drained from my bank account. Don suggested a transporter (Bob Beverley - another great guy) who just happened to be heading out to San Fran and then up to Sun Valley, Idaho to pick up a Mercedes. Oroville would only be a small detour off his path. Soon the car was on it's way.

My son and I rented a U-Haul and slipped across the border this weekend to retrieve it. We figured we better do it before US election results were know and a Wall was erected across the US/Canadian border.

IMG_2759.jpg

US Customs was great. I was so flustered about the car, I forgot to look in all the boxes of extra parts that came with it. I had no idea what I was bringing across the border. Fortunately, they just wanted to confirm the VIN and we were on to Canada. The young Canadian Border security had never seen a car like it before. He also was great. Just more paper work (and taxes!) and we were on our way out-racing a coming storm.

So now it's home in the Sunny Okanagan. The wife is happy, so all is good in the world.

Inspection is Thursday! Living the dream...

IMG_2781.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great purchase, Don is the best, please register on our Registry. If already there let me know and I can fix.

Chris

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome Mauler! Great story, I am sure many of us can relate. I am located in the lower rainland, in South Delta, BC. Reach out when you hit a wall, perhaps I can help, but I see you have relationships with some excellent contacts already. There is an excellent local resource on this forum : stphers. He is an excellent resource and can help you sort your new acquisition. Best of luck! Mike

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Excellent. Sounds like an excuse for a Seattle road trip in the future.
Welcome aboard.

And yes, Don is awesome.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What a great story! And what a great car.

Looks like the PO already switched to the chrome side and hood grilles. Very nice! All you have left to do is get rid the the diving boards and you are set for coupe glory.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Awesome! We post a lot of cars in the FS section, mostly for awareness, entertainment, and critique. It's nice when a match is made! There are lots of E9 Enthusiasts in BC, and a bunch in western Washington. Perhaps we will cross paths in the real world someday.

I have been really pleased with my BC border experiences on both sides. You can call up the office and talk shop about moving cars over the boarder, and actually get someone on the other end. The US side was kind enough to let my wife and I bring an extra bottle of liquor over when I didn't realize it was one bottle per adult. Good times!

Mauler

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Look forward to meeting the local tribe someday.

I can't tell you how great this forum is.

I had to go for a government safety inspection yesterday. I had checked the car over in the days leading up to it and thought it should pass.
They took issue with the hazard light switch being held off, by inserting a thumbtack along side the button. (it works, just has to be held off by the tack I argued!)
It also had a crack in the power-steering belt they wanted replaced, so no big deal.
I was surprised that they said the brake lights weren't working. That was something I didn't think to check by myself. They could fix it, but it could be chasing down an electrical gremlin, so it could take forever. Dang.

Enter e9coupe.com!

I searched for "brake lights don't work" found a few posts, most which hinted at the brake light switch just above the peddle. Before I left the shop I sounded like a know-it-all and blurted out "It's probably the brake light switch, I'll go get one".

Of course our backwood BMW dealership doesn't have a lot of e9 parts in stock (the parts guy kept on asking if there were more numbers to the VIN), but they found and original part in Germany for $45 and it could be here in two weeks! Grreeeaat. As luck would have it the young assistant behind the counter who over heard our converation, knew how to use google and found a substitute from NAPA for $16! And that is Canadian dollars we're talking about my friends!

Napa drove it over 20 minutes later. I was back to the inspection shop in 30. Just as I walked in the two mechanics were confirming that there was no power to the brake light from the switch. "Here, use this" I said.

Genius!

I am now legally entitled to boot around the countryside in a Fjordblu metallic- paint code 037!