Hello from Rochdale

jpg10

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster. First off thanks to everyone who's ever posted as this has been one of the most useful site in the past.

I've had an '73 E9 3.0 CSA for nearly 10 years now here in Rochdale (the bit just north of Manchester where it rains even more). As a result it lives in the garage sunshine permitting. Its one of the cars I've always wanted and the only one I've kept so far.

I've had it SORN'ed off road for a few years as I had a few other cars to play with (last one was a Merc 190 2.5 Cosworth) along side my daily drivers and this has been used for the past ferw years whilst I decide what to do next on it.

Its in good shape as one of the previous 5 owners did a fair amount of restoration on it in the early 90's and reapainted it white from its original Taiga green. I'm still torn on what colour to have it done as I did see an E9 in black that I missed buying before I bought this one and quite liked.

I must admit that I've been a little taken aback by the recent (well to me anyway) rise in prices as I now have to get a valuation for it, but I guess thats a nice problem to have.

Well thats me and as I've now done my cherry on posting I'll probably be asking more questions in the future.

Cheers,

James
http://www.e9-driven.com/RegistryView.asp?RID=5887

Attachments

• 1-Rear of car.jpg
    1-Rear of car.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 169

e9john

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rochdale.

Hi James,

Welcome to the forum, nice looking car, I'm also in Rochdale, would you like to meet up ?
Sent you a pm.

John.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome James, why not go back to original Taiga? That's a rare colour, especially since you referenced values increasing.

The metal beltline trim across the trunk - where did that come from?

tmason

Reaction score
Welcome

Hi James
Welcome and very nice looking car. I'm with Steve if you do a paint job I would go back to Factory color. Also you should be collecting the parts to convert to a manual because they are getting harder to find and will only help with the value.
Tim

jpg10

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Steve,

The E9 was one of the cars I've always wanted after seeing a photo of one whilst younger and in my minds eye I always saw it as either black or metallic silver (this was before I knew the dark arts of the orginal paint codes & names) before I bought mine.

I did think of that and it'is been narrowed down to 3 over the years - Black, stick with White or go back to the original Taiga but I don't really know. I've procrastinated as its not been an immediate issue to resolve or stopped me enjoying the car.

I get that the Taiga may make it rarer, but if I were to do all the work I intend to to then sell it I'd rather sell it now than someone else to enjoy it as I only then want another E9...

The Mrs likes the car, my 3 year old likes the car (even though he ripped the head light stalk out of the steering column, but thats another story), heck even the guy who does the MOT work on it likes the car and wants to buy it; but I've got the green light to keep it and stick at 3 cars for the moment so I'm hanging on to it for as long as I can and pushing for others.

The silver strip was on the car when I bought it so I assumed that it was standard. I know that its had work done in the past so that must have crept in there.

Cheers,

James

jpg10

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

I like the auto and have two other automatics - Subaru Outback 3.6R & Forester 2.5 XTEN - before you ask the Mrs made me get sensible cars, so Subaru's were the comprise choice.

I work for myself and do a lot of miles so like the fact that I can drive 4 hrs in the Outback and do a days work when working away rather than having to go the night before.

I guess I see the E9 more as a grand tourer that you waft around in and arrive rather than for spirited driving. I know that a lot have had newer 3.5 variant engines swapped in and corresponding upgrades and I can then see the point of it but I wouldn't be able to drive the car as much as I would like, how I would like.

I guess that the time taken to upgrade it to that extent would mean more time off the road and a lot of time from me (& others much more mechanically gifted than me) to do it all. I work away a lot so I guess by the time I'd have the car ready again for the road it would be a heck of a while so I'd rather enjoy it whilst I can.

That said I have accumulated bits over the years (a small jaymic & ebay addiction) but have managed to stay away from Wallothnesch & a local BMW so far as I already have 3-4 creates of spares & bits for the future.

I am looking at replacing all the hoses and possibly redoing the break lines in copper (another conversation as I know) but thats on the master list of jobs for the future.

I may have to bribe the Mrs with an old Land Rover or a Fiat 500 to ensure I get a decent sized workshop/garage in our next house move before I do anything beyond maintaining and keeping the E9 on the road.

Cheers,

James

tmason

Reaction score
Hi James
I'm suggesting you collect the parts before they get to hard to find and this goes to anyone with an automatic. After doing this to mine (auto to 5spd) I would never have thought it would make it so much fun to drive and the hp feels like it doubled!
Tim

jpg10

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

Sorry if I appeared to quick to judge that's not what I meant. I'm buying the bits I can store and stash, but I know some of it is definitely aspirational work wise as it beyond my skill levels at the moment. I'm hoping by rereading my Haynes & hack mechanic together with the various sites some of it will sink in by osmosis eventually.

I would love to do many things to the car, but my garage just isn't big enough to work to that level in - hence the pending house move, although I doubt I'll manage a garage/workshop to envy Rob Siegel but you've got to have a dream :)

I'm still learning the technical side of things and I know I have a heck of a way to go, but figure on enjoying learning first and doing it all in stages. I know that at the moment anything major I would have to have someone else do it.

That all said what you've suggested is a cracking idea and I'm looking at meeting up with e9John soon so hope to pick his brain on a few things.

cheers,

James