Heat Shielding

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Most BMWs manufactured after the early 1970s have heat shields above the exhaust. I suspect BMW thinks this is a good idea.

I installed a small shield near the passenger foot well, but nothing from the tranny back. The heat shield I have is an e12/e28/e24 part (Part number is 51-48-1-832-850).

I am interested in whether folks have found additional heat shield parts that can be adapted to our cars.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Right, well I bought a heat shield from a Z4 and plan to see if I can do something with it. Cost was $45, so if I fail, so be it.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I installed a small shield near the passenger foot well, but nothing from the tranny back. The heat shield I have is an e12/e28/e24 part (Part number is 51-48-1-832-850).

I am interested in whether folks have found additional heat shield parts that can be adapted to our cars.
i have this one and will try it out when everything goes back in, this is an inexpensive piece (about 33 bucks). i also have the tunnel insulation from the e28 as well - 51481875998 - this one is more expensive ... about 130 bucks. the e60 piece is a little cheaper 51487033723 - 96 bucks

Ulrich 3.0 CSA

Reaction score
Hello

I did this to my 3.0 CSA

65E97A08-8A47-463A-A525-085EA791697F.jpeg 2A2E216C-40AB-4842-AA1E-8B2C4DE522CA.jpeg

Regards Ulrich

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would happily send it anywhere if it was still in one piece. But it was sacrificed to create heat over the last winter... (joking...simply not enough space in my garage...)

I can always make a drawing, as its not that difficult to measure up the shield i have.
Basically it was composed of a rigid sheet with strategicely placed layers of 5 mm and 10 mm. The sides were made with 45 degree cut material. All standard diy materials.
The large curve for the flex disc was kept from the e60 part, so no need to shape that end. The only free forming was for the brackets that hold the centre bearing.

Oh and mind you. I haven't driven a meter with it yet, so i can't vouch for interference with other parts.

Erik.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A520F met Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I would happily send it anywhere if it was still in one piece. But it was sacrificed to create heat over the last winter... (joking...simply not enough space in my garage...)

I can always make a drawing, as its not that difficult to measure up the shield i have.
Basically it was composed of a rigid sheet with strategicely placed layers of 5 mm and 10 mm. The sides were made with 45 degree cut material. All standard diy materials.
The large curve for the flex disc was kept from the e60 part, so no need to shape that end. The only free forming was for the brackets that hold the centre beating.

Oh and mind you. I haven't driven a meter with it yet, so i can't vouch for interference with other parts.

Erik.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A520F met Tapatalk

Thank you for the kind offer Erik -- I've managed to get something installed working from the Z4 part. It is smaller than yours, tied it to the e24 shield in the front, and the driveshaft center bearing bolts near the rear. Haven't road tested it yet, but will report back when I do.

CallumNicklin

Reaction score
Thank you for the kind offer Erik -- I've managed to get something installed working from the Z4 part. It is smaller than yours, tied it to the e24 shield in the front, and the driveshaft center bearing bolts near the rear. Haven't road tested it yet, but will report back when I do.
Please can you advise the z4 part number? Thanks