Headliner install

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The glass is coming out on the 22nd and Murray's headliner is going in. A few questions for the group on behalf of my trim guy.

Can someone take a few pictures of a sunroof car particularly where it tucks in the corners and how it tucks into the windshield.

Second, this piece looks a little small but Murray said it was for a sunroof and who are we to question. Is there a standard dimension for this piece which we could reference? I believe I have read that it's still sold as one piece and that you have to cut out the panel for the roof.

Lastly, how many horizontal tucks are there if any? I've seen a few shots of a non-sunroof car but since mine has never had a headliner in it since I've owned it I have no frame of reference.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Benji

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I got my fabric from LaJolla and it just barely fit. Which means that you have to carefully glue it to the the thin foam on the formed wood ceiling board (you have one of those?). Unfortunately, I cannot find any photos of the ceiling board.

The fabric does not reach the front windshield. The preformed visor board fits here. There is small strip of the headliner between the front of the sunroof and visor board.

There are no horizontal tucks.

At the rear corners I installed the black 'C' pillar vinyl first and then folded the headliner where is spans from the rear glass to the side glass.

Some photos of my install:

Attachments

• Headliner1.jpg
    Headliner1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 431
  • Headliner2.jpg
    Headliner2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 394
  • Headliner3.jpg
    Headliner3.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 388
  • Headliner4.jpg
    Headliner4.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 390
  • Headliner5.jpg
    Headliner5.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 393

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thank you this is very helpful. The installer mentioned creating a foam block so I guess that's to replace the original wood one which I've never seen. I have the piece between the sunroof and front windshield but it looks like it was recovered or perhaps my replacement headliner is not a perfect match because it has a different hole pattern and a different texture. Did you recover yours in the headliner material or will the vinyl clean up enough to not look like it doesn't really match?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
my replacement headliner is not a perfect match because it has a different hole pattern and a different texture. Did you recover yours in the headliner material or will the vinyl clean up enough to not look like it doesn't really match?

Mine does not match either. It is close enough to not be noticeable (unless you are staring at it and thinking about it). Fortunately, my visor board was in perfect shape. It just needed some cleaning. I believe some have also painted theirs to better match the whiter color of the new headliner. The visor board looks like it would be difficult to recover with the same headliner material - but it may be possible with the correct equipment. To all: has anybody else on the board done this?

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The piece of material I have has pleats in it so I'm fairly certain it's for a non-sunroof car. I ended up buying new material from La Jolla to be installed on Monday.

IS3FIFTY

Reaction score
All glass out?

The fabric does not reach the front windshield. The preformed visor board fits here. There is small strip of the headliner between the front of the sunroof and visor board.
Sven - do both the windshield AND the back window need to be removed to install the headliner? Or just the windshield?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, they do on a sunroof car. See the clips holding the liner in place in Headliner5 photo above - that is the rear window opening. The material around the front visor board is also wrapped around the metal seam at the front window opening (and a bit at the sides). Basically you need to expose all metal pinch seams along the perimeter of the roof.

IS3FIFTY

Reaction score
Yes, they do on a sunroof car. See the clips holding the liner in place in Headliner5 photo above - that is the rear window opening. The material around the front visor board is also wrapped around the metal seam at the front window opening (and a bit at the sides). Basically you need to expose all metal pinch seams along the perimeter of the roof.
Got it. Thanks!

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Handles

I was just asked by the trim shop where the handles are that attach to the roof to assist the rear passenger in exiting the vehicle. Mine never had these since I haven't owned it with a headliner but now I'm wondering whether I can live without them or whether they can be found or reproduced. I've tried to find a part number on Penske but I'm not sure what this is even called. Headliner is going in as we speak so any suggestions would be appreciated as always.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Call La Jolla or CoupeKing. They will likely have a pair of these. In the meantime you could figure a way to carefully mark where the screw holes are for these. Perhaps along the seam (that will be covered with trim and with some dimensions inwards, so you can find them after the liner is in place.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
OK thanks. My fear was holding up progress on the install which has taken weeks to schedule and possibly reschedule if I have to stop progress of week or two to source these. If I can mark them and install them later that would be great. I'll call these guys and see what they have. All the pictures I've seen have black handles. Are they all this color?

bluebeem

Reaction score
grab handles

OK thanks. My fear was holding up progress on the install which has taken weeks to schedule and possibly reschedule if I have to stop progress of week or two to source these. If I can mark them and install them later that would be great. I'll call these guys and see what they have. All the pictures I've seen have black handles. Are they all this color?

I've got a spare set in good shape, I'll ship 'em to ya for $40.
let me know.

Anton

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Headliner is in

The headliner is now in. I asked about the seam down the middle of the sunroof and was told that was how it was supposed to be based on the fact that my original sunroof panel still had that on it. Glass and carpet go in tomorrow and then final installation of recovered console (with AC YES!!!!!!!!!). I keep telling my wife it will be done in two weeks but she now knows that means two months (or more). The visor board was in bad shape and was repaired and recovered. Visors and grab handles will go in tomorrow as well. Included in the console install will be Bela's wood which I've been holding onto for a year. Can't wait to see it all come together.

Attachments

• Headliner_3.jpg
    Headliner_3.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 326
  • Headliner_1.jpg
    Headliner_1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 348
  • Headliner_2.jpg
    Headliner_2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to fix my sagging visors? I was so excited to see the headliner I didn't notice. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368741649.297549.jpg