Has anyone installed plastic fender skirts ?

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has attempted to fit plastic fender skirts from another car into these coupes ? I contend that twice as many of these cars would still be around today if the factory had been a little more forward thinking and fitted fender skirts into the front fenders. Spraying a little undercoating under the fenders and hoping that was going to be enough to stop rust when everything under there is constantly being sand blasted by the tires was very optimistic thinking at best. It’s my opinion that the lack of front fender skirts is the real Achilles’ heal of these coupes. The skirts wouldn’t have to be from a BMW, any brand car would do if their close, then just use a heat gun to tweak them a bit. THANKS ~ John Buchtenkirch

61porsche

Reaction score
Fitting Volvo liners

John,

Yes, liners have been fitted successfully for many years. The Tech link, when up would have had the procedure there. I have them on mine, installed sometime in the early 80's by a previous caretaker. Several others here have them or had them as well as it's been a subject of debate by owners since the need today for a car not actually driven in inclimate conditions isn't perhaps for some as evident as it once was.

But they work.. at least mine have for all these years.:-D

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
John,

Yes, liners have been fitted successfully for many years. The Tech link, when up would have had the procedure there. I have them on mine, installed sometime in the early 80's by a previous caretaker. Several others here have them or had them as well as it's been a subject of debate by owners since the need today for a car not actually driven in inclimate conditions isn't perhaps for some as evident as it once was.

But they work.. at least mine have for all these years.:-D

Do you know what year Volvo was used ? I don’t see how anyone could argue the need for liners, all modern cars use them. Thru so many years of doing body work, I have seen all the rust damage on earlier Porsches and the fronts of CS coupes, for me it shouldn't even be an argument :confused:, it’s a no brainer. THANKS :) ~ John Buchtenkirch

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
We can buy them from Finland and a company named Lokari.fi

Locally n Sweden from here: Lokari.se

Thanks for the idea but that’s not what I’m looking for because they only seem to list aluminum ones for the E9. Plastic is far superior (even Lokari suggests plastic on cars they carry both aluminum & plastic skirts for), while it looks a bit ugly as it ages it wouldn’t rattle or squeak and will take decades of sand blasting from tires without any wear. I have a very complete sheet metal shop but only would consider using any type of metal as a last choice. It’s really a shame BMW didn’t develop skirts at least in the later part of the production run of these coupes, open fenders is like American stuff from the fifties, not the seventies. I guess BMW didn’t have the resources back then or the Germans were slow to pick up on how good plastic parts were for certain applications :cry:. ~ John Buchtenkirch
A res#3.jpg

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a NOS set of these Volvo 240 liners if anyone is interested. I bought these back in the early 1990's for my previous coupe but never got around to installing them. $50 plus shipping. PM me if you're interested.

P1030746.jpg

P1030742-1.jpg