Has anyone had the fun experience of purchasing appliances lately?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Bosch dishwashers are great. However, with many dsihwashers, including Bosch, the control panels fail. They are sleek, and the panel is on the narrow surface of the door that faces upward. That surface faces the overhanging edge of the countertop and steam can collect there. Eventually these panels fail as a result of the steam and heat. I would look for a dishwashers with controls on the outside of the door, even if it is less aesthetically pleasing.

I've read this on reviews also. Makes sense. Marcos would probably build a custom vent system that draws the steam and heat away from the panel and use the vented air to keep his greenhouse humidified! ;)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've read this on reviews also. Makes sense. Marcos would probably build a custom vent system that draws the steam and heat away from the panel and use the vented air to keep his greenhouse humidified! ;)
a lot of it has do do with the edge detail of the countertop. i like to avoid having a cap directly above the dishwasher / doors + drawers. my favorite detail is a reveal between the cabinets and the counter top of 1/2" to 3/4" ... and then a countertop edge with a reverse slope - kind of like the rear contour of the coupe (above the bumper)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
a lot of it has do do with the edge detail of the countertop. i like to avoid having a cap directly above the dishwasher / doors + drawers. my favorite detail is a reveal between the cabinets and the counter top of 1/2" to 3/4" ... and then a countertop edge with a reverse slope - kind of like the rear contour of the coupe (above the bumper)

I'd love to see a pic of what you are describing...

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We built a new house (downsized) 2 years ago.
We didn't want super high end stuff as we had friends who had bad luck with Wolf and Sub Zero. We liked the reviews and the look of the GE appliances and got the microwave over oven, refrigerator, and dish washer in the smug resistant slate grey. So far so good.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have repaired my kitchenaid fridge (whish replaced a subzero) that supposedly needed a new $500 control board. Went on the internet, saw the same problem from others, a faulty capacitor, $1.59 from radio shack and was fixed. Same with our samsung tv, sent the control board off for repair $30 and works great.

Home Depot's products and services are horrible.
Use a local store.

Also, Our house came with a $7,000 built in refrigerator, built in 2006. Last year, it broke. The local Kitchen Aid recommended repairman said it was a bad circuit board, and these were NLA. So, they said I needed a new fridge. 7k! I went to circuitboardmedics.com and they fixed the board that I mailed to them for about $100. I put it back in, and now it works fine a year later.

Bosch dishwashers are great. However, with many dsihwashers, including Bosch, the control panels fail. They are sleek, and the panel is on the narrow surface of the door that faces upward. That surface faces the overhanging edge of the countertop and steam can collect there. Eventually these panels fail as a result of the steam and heat. I would look for a dishwashers with controls on the outside of the door, even if it is less aesthetically pleasing.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Would make an excellent factory BMW color...
Steve and Markos, could you post your physical addresses so we know where to have any broken device sent for repair. We will cover, shipping both ways, parts +35% and a generous labor payment. What fun.

Steve

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have both of their addresses ... i can be bought ... that being said, don't be cheap as i am not easily going to betray my friends

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ugh - Appliances suck now!

My favorite genius fridge review :D:
It is NOT MAGNETIC, which I don't understand, as it's a stainless refrigerator...not "stainless look", but stainless. Try explaining to a toddler why their magnets won't stick to a refrigerator that appears to be a giant block of metal...?

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Reacquainting myself with the dryer. I had to replace the idler pulley. It is quite easy actually. I only run Mobil 1 synthetic in my appliances. :D

E60D6F09-596F-4CB4-B425-9F5021E34C82.jpeg