Has anyone had the fun experience of purchasing appliances lately?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to remodel our kitchen soon and have started looking into appliances. I've heard nothing but negative experiences from people who have dealt with it recently and now I'm seeing why. Reviews are all over the place good and bad and my natural opinion about how this stuff is made now-a-days is negative. Fewer features is better in my mind but not my wife's, but she's reasonable.

Any opinions? Suggestions? We'll probably go middle of the road as far as price goes. Stain-resistant stainless hopefully. How do you guys go about it?

Dan

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan,

i bought a new fridge a year or so ago. bought a stainless french door fridge w/ bottom freezer from samsung. overall been very happy with it. we rarely use the freezer so having it at the bottom is perfect for us. we have never had an icemaker before ... and if i had it to do over ... i still wouldn't. we went slightly above middle ... and that's all the bells and whistles we needed. it is much quieter than the old one and does a better job at keeping things cold.

we bought a bosch dishwasher about 5 years ago - so much quieter. there are several other companies that sell a rebranded bosch dishwasher.

we bought a washer / dryer a few years before all of the real changes there ... i wouldn't know what to do with that decision.

oven / cooktop / range ... huge decisions if you are getting into that. first question is - how much do you cook ... really cook? you have 3 basic decisions - gas / electric / induction. if you are like me and don't have gas in the kitchen and no way to get it there, the best route isn't an option. the good news is that electric has become much better ... and induction is really good, if you don't have to buy all new pans (cast iron works, aluminum doesn't ... some stainless works, but not all). there are a gazillion manufacturer options - really expensive (viking / dacor / gaggenau, wolf + sub-zero, etc.) ... expensive (electrolux / thermador) ... reasonable (bosch / kitchen aid / ge monogram) ... and the entry level stuff - (ge / jenn-air, etc)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm kind of on the hunt. I just finished a major outdoor project and now it's time to tackle the kitchen. I looked at Costco the other night with my wife, because they have package deals. I priced it out however and they offer no real savings over the a la carte options. I bought a new dishwasher about 6 months ago. I'm pleased with the nifty features but the build quality of the stainless and the noise level is actually worse than my previous washer, which was a top of the line GE(came with the house, also was prone to fires). I think that timing is the key to buying appliances, as they have a significant markup on them. You are coming up on Black Friday, so you can score appliances for a good price if you wait. Figure out what you are looking for first.

It seems that refrigerators have the most gimmicks. Keep it simple and look for usable space. You don't need a smoked window that turns clear when you double tap on it with your finger. ;) I would say look for quality of construction, warranty, and good reviews over everything else. I have formed a pretty strong opinion that appliances "aren't made like they used to be".

As far as the kitchen goes, consider things like switching to gas if you are electric. I'll be doing this. Not only will it lessen the load on my kitchen circuits, I'll have more evenly distributed heat while cooking. My glass cooktop is only a few years old but it doesn't compare to gas in the least. Pay attention to the noise rating on the dishwasher. Consider things like a counter top depth refrigerator. Pay attention to where the microwave is. Do you want to replace the hood with a microwave. If you do, plumb the exhaust vent correctly and don't just do the recirculating feature. I don't particularly want the microwave in the way, above the stove but it make sense from a space perspective.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
check out Germany's Miele appliances. Non plus ultra, "Made in Germany" absolute top quality product with prices to match. But they do infact last way longer than other top brands, like Bosch etc.

Given the choice, Miele should definately be looked into. Don't show the Mrs the catalouge, till you havent looked thru the price list yourself!

Have fun
Keshav

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, great responses, thanks for taking the time. We just bought a new washer and dryer about three weeks ago after our old washer finally gave it up. The new washers are weird if you haven't experienced the direct-drive units. We thought it was broken when we first turned it on. LOL

We've decided to go with a separate refrigerator and freezer (upright) and put the freezer in the garage just outside the door. This allows a bigger refrigerator and the way my wife likes to cook she will use the extra space. It was her idea and its her domain so I'm going with it (she doesn't tell me what kind of toolbox to get!). Good advice on the washer and range. We have gas now but my wife isn't a fan of the fumes when it starts up. I'll try to convince her that a new one will be okay, along with the fact that I'm rebuilding the exhaust hood over the stove and using a separate large CFM fan mounted in the attic to reduce the noise. A noisy exhaust fan has always been a pet peeve of mine for some reason.

We're changing all the cabinet doors, drawers, counter tops, appliances, sink and maybe even the floor so we'll be able to design everything together. I'm doing all the work myself so I won't go too crazy with design.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan,

if she isn't a fan of gas fumes, but likes the speed at which it cooks. look at induction. its electric that cooks at the speed of gas ... you can boil water even faster than you can with gas. the other beauty is you never have a really hot burner that could burn the crap out of a kid ... warm yes ... burning hot, no. more commercial chefs would much rather have induction than electric ... some prefer over gas. the heat can be variable - boil to simmer - quickly ... much like gas. the downside is whether her pans will work. for instance, all clad (expensive pans work), but none of the expensive aluminum pans will. some cuisinart pans work, some do not. all cast iron + carbon steel pans work. i think copper pans work to.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, Miele is great. But, unless there is a way that I do not know, I do not think they are available in the US.

Gentlemen,
check out Germany's Miele appliances. Non plus ultra, "Made in Germany" absolute top quality product with prices to match. But they do infact last way longer than other top brands, like Bosch etc.

Given the choice, Miele should definately be looked into. Don't show the Mrs the catalouge, till you havent looked thru the price list yourself!

Have fun
Keshav

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan,

if she isn't a fan of gas fumes, but likes the speed at which it cooks. look at induction. its electric that cooks at the speed of gas ... you can boil water even faster than you can with gas. the other beauty is you never have a really hot burner that could burn the crap out of a kid ... warm yes ... burning hot, no. more commercial chefs would much rather have induction than electric ... some prefer over gas. the heat can be variable - boil to simmer - quickly ... much like gas. the downside is whether her pans will work. for instance, all clad (expensive pans work), but none of the expensive aluminum pans will. some cuisinart pans work, some do not. all cast iron + carbon steel pans work. i think copper pans work to.
I don't buy anything without checking Consumer Reports first. And even then other legit reviews sometimes contradict them. Bought a frig, lower mid-range, no bells and whistles, bottom freezer, LED lighting, nice, that's it. Stainless. Does keep things cooler, might? have cut our electric bill. Who knows.
Markos is right, "they don't"!!! Our washer/dryer/dishwasher are ancient, clean and dry with the best of them. Have not put a penny into. Perhaps shop local moving sales. Kidding sort of. Got the best price at Home Depot. Google when stuff goes on sale. Black Friday etc may not be the best time.

I am dreading when one of our appliances fail.

I am shopping to buy or lease(really a minefield) a small car. CR rated 26. The vaunted Honda Civic, not "recommended" was rated 21 out of 26. The Chevy Cruz is #2!! I drove one yesterday and it was impressive. Number 1 by a hair, the Subaru Imprerza, but much more expen$ive and few if any incentives and discounts. The Cruz is built in Ohio but American content is probably 25 % if that.

TodB

Reaction score
We just bought appliances and went with the GE slate "fingerprint proof" versions though the fridge handles are stainless so they show fingerprints.:rolleyes:

I rate appliances as poor consumer grade that just don't last like they used to. Reviews are all over the place on all brands and certainly not consistent. The older stuff was just built better. Friends who have gone higher end, Viking, etc. have had similar experiences. I would not buy from Home Depot or Lowes as those appliances are lower end and built for Home Depot and Lowes (like the TVs at Costco). We chose a local, smaller appliance store and ended up getting MUCH better prices and will have better service when (not if!) needed. Spend a little more on the DW to get a quiet one.

No fun.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, Miele is great. But, unless there is a way that I do not know, I do not think they are available in the US.

You can get Miele in the US. You just need to go to an appliance store. Wolf makes nice induction cooktops also!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
My current dishwasher is about 20 years old and has never had one issue. At first I considered building a custom front to match the new cabinet doors we're getting but that would be my cheap side showing through. I just expect any new appliance to last half the time the older ones do. In fact, if I could've gotten a pump for my old washer I would've just replace it, but not having parts available plays into having to buy new complete units. They also know exactly how the consumer acts/reacts to repairs versus dumping it and buying a new one. A disposable society.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos is right, "they don't"!!! Our washer/dryer/dishwasher are ancient, clean and dry with the best of them. Have not put a penny into. Perhaps shop local moving sales. Kidding sort of...

I am dreading when one of our appliances fail.

I feel like I have said this before, but I have cracked open every appliance in my house. I put a new motherboard and some solenoids in the 2006+ GE fridge. New door switches in the 2006+ GE microwave. Opened up the 2006+ GE dishwasher and subsequently replaced as the door guts were destroyed and showed signs of a future electrical fire (just outside of recall serial number). I rewired my stove and cooktop, thank the previous owner for i shielded electrical tape connections.

I relocated the vent on my dryer, no quality issues thus far. Early this year I replaced the bearings on my 2010 Maytag front loader.

image1.JPG
image2.JPG
image3.JPG

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Adding to the "not made the same" observation. My 2016 GE dishwasher is about half of the stainless gauge as the 2006 model. The new one was around $850 so it wasn't exactly a low end model.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dan,

i bought a new fridge a year or so ago. bought a stainless french door fridge w/ bottom freezer from samsung. overall been very happy with it. we rarely use the freezer so having it at the bottom is perfect for us. we have never had an icemaker before ... and if i had it to do over ... i still wouldn't. we went slightly above middle ... and that's all the bells and whistles we needed. it is much quieter than the old one and does a better job at keeping things cold.

we bought a bosch dishwasher about 5 years ago - so much quieter. there are several other companies that sell a rebranded bosch dishwasher.

we bought a washer / dryer a few years before all of the real changes there ... i wouldn't know what to do with that decision.

oven / cooktop / range ... huge decisions if you are getting into that. first question is - how much do you cook ... really cook? you have 3 basic decisions - gas / electric / induction. if you are like me and don't have gas in the kitchen and no way to get it there, the best route isn't an option. the good news is that electric has become much better ... and induction is really good, if you don't have to buy all new pans (cast iron works, aluminum doesn't ... some stainless works, but not all). there are a gazillion manufacturer options - really expensive (viking / dacor / gaggenau, wolf + sub-zero, etc.) ... expensive (electrolux / thermador) ... reasonable (bosch / kitchen aid / ge monogram) ... and the entry level stuff - (ge / jenn-air, etc)

+1 on the Bosch dishwasher. Efficient AND quiet. You will never regret this. BTW I am gobsmacked we are discussing kitchen appliances here, but then again, here is where I trust the reviews :) Mike

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Miele is very much available in the USA. a good friend of mine has a couple of ovens and a cooktop. i have a Miele vacuum.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Markos I am very impressed that you can repair all your appliances and still be able to feed us Craigslist finds and parts. Major respect amigo! :cool:

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
just bought a new stove last week from sears
excellent way to go they deliver install and take the old one away in ten minutes.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Home Depot's products and services are horrible.
Use a local store.

Also, Our house came with a $7,000 built in refrigerator, built in 2006. Last year, it broke. The local Kitchen Aid recommended repairman said it was a bad circuit board, and these were NLA. So, they said I needed a new fridge. 7k! I went to circuitboardmedics.com and they fixed the board that I mailed to them for about $100. I put it back in, and now it works fine a year later.

Bosch dishwashers are great. However, with many dsihwashers, including Bosch, the control panels fail. They are sleek, and the panel is on the narrow surface of the door that faces upward. That surface faces the overhanging edge of the countertop and steam can collect there. Eventually these panels fail as a result of the steam and heat. I would look for a dishwashers with controls on the outside of the door, even if it is less aesthetically pleasing.