Hand signals

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sometimes when driving my Coupe, I find myself watching the rear view mirror more than out the front windscreen. This is usually because I notice the vehicle following is engaged in some sort of animated conversation with a passenger, or texting, or anything other that paying attention to driving conditions. I get nervous when I apply my right hand turn and I think about the dim, inadequate, E9 taillights that do not alert many behind as to the intentions of the Coupe in front. So, I have taken to using hand signals on many occasions. I know what they mean, probably all reading this know what a raised left arm pointing upwards means, but it is pretty much a "crap shoot" to expect today's drivers to actually understand the signal being relayed to them. I cannot tell you how many times I have done this, only to find that the driver behind is completely taken by surprise, is angry, and blames me for some sort of abrupt and unexpected braking so that I can complete the turn safely. Anyone else care to comment? Mike

lloyd

Reaction score
I've been guilty of focusing on inattentive drivers behind mine - and have had passengers who have chided me for doing so. Once I pulled far ahead of an inattentive driver but managed to get stuck at a long red light. Watching the rear view mirror, it was obvious (to me) that the other driver was still not paying attention to the road. I told my passenger that we were going to get hit and made an emergency right turn through the intersection to avoid - the obvious. I was proven right when the other vehicle drove past the red light, completely through the intersection. No brakes, no injury, no damage, just luck.

But the issue you raised (inattention) is almost equaled by inconsideration or discourtesy. For example, changing lanes . . . because it can be done, regardless of whether there are other nearby vehicles in those other lanes.

transport-turn_signal-turn-turning-drives-drivers-dre0537_low.jpg

jesus_would_use_his_turn_signals_car_bumper_sticker-re39ec87c805c48749b2d2b636552a8c7_v9wht_8byvr_512.jpg
no_need_to_use_your_turn_signal_like_other_dri_car_bumper_sticker-rdc93b80728c04a66a5bbc15bd8cf3d14_v9wht_8byvr_512.jpg
god_wants_you_to_use_your_turn_signal_car_bumper_sticker-rd6368fe4e70847168180f9438080f270_v9wht_8byvr_512.jpg

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Twenty or so years ago, I used to blame NASCAR for alot of the brainless manuevers...
No paint traded, no foul...Speed up to leave the pits, do the same on the on-ramp (what does yield mean, daddy)...I'm not tail-gating, I'm drafting...Slide move...
School used to include drivers' education, drivers' education used to include manners. There's a reason that my daily is a Volvo wagon.