Grabbed 1967 2000cs out of a garage today.

vwsnaps

Reaction score
Name is Cory.
Live in Nebraska.
I am a car whore.

I am a Volkswagen enthusiast - have bought sold parted drove and sold again a lot of Vw's in the last 15 years. I have a little enthusiast shop with a hoist - that helps me tear em apart - I typically stick with mk1 , mk2 and mk3's every once in awhile mk4 shows up to part out or get the TDI swap out of it.

I have owned a few BMW's over the years. my first bmw was 1991 325is that ended up being " Stolen " when I went to inspect it. ( long story but It ended up being an insurance fraud from the guy I bought it from )

Then I have an awesome E36 M3 Coupe - wish I would of kept it. Got 2 speeding tickets in 10 days - and getting the baby car seat in and out was a PITA so I ended up trading it in and got a X3 for the wife.

Had a few other e36's cars - few other e30's.
Parted out a few , sold a few. Sold my friends Euro 745 for him a few years ago.

Here are some of previous rides:
http://volkshole.com/?page_id=51

Ive known about this old E9 for a long time. Its been sitting in the back of an older VW mechanics shop since 1997. But everytime I asked It was never for sale. Then I saw someone elses e9 on instagram and decided to stop by there yesterday and he said he would sell it.

Before he changed his mind - I quickly ran to bank pulled out cash - he found title and him and his kids pushed it out for an easy load up on the trailer this afternoon. ( its very unseasonably warm for February )

It 6v - I was told. I might attempt to start it this weekend. While its still on the trailer. See what happens.

It seems to be very complete. Didn't notice anything missing - there are even like cargo covers in the truck and all the side trim, etc.

Rust seems to be along edges of the rear fenders - few bubbles here and there around bottom edge of the windows.

rockers looks good - both front and rear strut towers look good.

Luckily there was a spare driver headlight in the trunk and spare grills for that front nose damage.

The rims have BMW caps on them not sure what they are - there is a steel spare in the trunk as well. even has keys.. and a title.

I am not sure what I am going to do with it. I have about 5 VW projects at my shop currently and I might just tinker with this get it run maybe and then sell it / trade it off maybe. My kids have not seen it yet, maybe they convince me to keep around this summer for a bit.

http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/volkshole/library/19672000cs?sort=3&page=1

There is link to pictures.

IMG_3587_zpswislfl9c.jpg

IMG_3585_zps7qjsvc9e.jpg

IMG_3586_zpsufpezdzc.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
With a single barrel Solex it's a 2000C, CS had twin side drafts, check the VIN. Interior parts are extremely hard to fine, front suspension can be problematic, these early cars have unique strut mounts, idler arms, etc, be sure parts can be found first. Hope you got it for a steal.

vwsnaps

Reaction score
Pretty Title says CS. I was told they replaced the carb / carbs with a weber?

Who knows...

The interior is cool.

I just posted it up for trade / sale.

See what happens - I guess.

I am going to tinker with it this weekend.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What's the VIN? There should be a bracket with two mounts on driver fender to mount the round CS airbox, that would be a clue.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That's consistent with CS built in mid 1966, approximately 5,600 were built by end of 66. Probably titled as a 67 later, who knows. Too bad the original carbs are missing, is the motor VIN the same? Check above the starter.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Impressive list of cars, sounds like you like what you do-Cheers! Welcome to the madness and if you decide to keep her be sure to post your progress, we love restoration threads :)

vwsnaps

Reaction score
Ok - so attempting to start failed.

motor turns freely by hand.

bought 6v battery.

Accessory lights, on dash lights up but turn key nothing.
check fuses only #6 had power - cleaned terminals - got the 7-8 to work ( owners manual in the glove box says they are for the power windows )

Tried the windows - passenger will make a very faint clicking sound.

So today went back out there - tried jumper wire from starter direct to battery and it wouldnt start / crank or move even - i got power to coil , power to starter.

Might stop while i am ahead...

Wheel lock lug key is there even - SCORE.

I took a picture of the build plate:
It says 2000 C on the plate.
Nebraska title says 2000cs
back of the car says 2000CS

as mentioned earlier single carb -so maybe it is a C ? Does it really matter?

I think i might of found a headlight - in germany.

Is this a EURO car ? the bumpers / headlights are euro - the owner manual is in english?

IMG_3689_zpsjaqnf9sf.jpg

IMG_3688_zpscxw74p9u.jpg

IMG_3598_zpsol42f3kb.jpg

jmackro

Reaction score
I took a picture of the build plate:
It says 2000 C on the plate.
Nebraska title says 2000cs
back of the car says 2000CS
as mentioned earlier single carb -so maybe it is a C ?

I am definitely not an authority on these cars. But the photo of the owners manual indicates that the manual transmission cars were "CS" while the automatics were "C". What sort of a gearbox does your car have?

IMG_3598_zpsol42f3kb.jpg

Is this a EURO car ? the bumpers / headlights are euro - the owner manual is in english?

Before the mid/late-1960's car manufacturers didn't build US models that were different from the European models. All cars were pretty much alike (except the British/Australians/Japanese needed right hand drive models). So your 1967 2000CS has world headlights and bumpers - not Euro. Translating the owners manual into English was about the most a small automaker like BMW could afford to do.

Last edited:

vwsnaps

Reaction score
thanks - that makes sense.

Didn't realize the dual purpose title on the cover of the owner manual.

The headlights - Someone PM'd me offering me " US ' headlights

and someone else posted they had a " euro " driver headlight..

it is all so confusing.

I did end up listing the car on ebay.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
US imports through Hoffman Motors had quad headlights, the smooth glass euro version was not approved here by the DOT. The VIN indicates a CS, there were both automatic and manual C models. The most rare is the manual C, followed by the auto C and finally the CS. The twin carb CS is more desired as it had 120 HP vs 100 for the C.