Golf Yellow CSi on BAT - NMNA

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is the color really golf? I always picture golf to be a little "whiter" with a slight bit of green, but also a bit more "day glow", which is what makes it interesting to look at. This looks like just plain old yellow to me.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe @Luis A. can chime in.
Below is a pic from this Bat auction and from the CSL Terry S has listed previously.
5593C2BC-7580-4942-B034-3127171A0B0F.jpeg
E84167CB-CDB4-428B-8180-69EAC89945DE.jpeg

m5toureg

Reaction score
Is the color really golf? I always picture golf to be a little "whiter" with a slight bit of green, but also a bit more "day glow", which is what makes it interesting to look at. This looks like just plain old yellow to me.
Agree = Golf (070) seems to have a ,greenish‘touch, whereas perhaps not ,plain old yelllow’
but maybe (?) = BMW 003 Condorgelb (which indeed is much more yellow).

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
HI guys; yeah, the color seems a bit washed out on some photos but I think it's the lighting and the camera's color balance being influenced by the background and the muted quality of the sunlight. Looking at the less well-lit photos such as under the bumpers or under the hood it looks closer to what I think Golf is.

The 'greenness' of it mostly becomes apparent when seen next to another shade of yellow. I characterize Golf as "highlighter yellow".

Here it is next to Porsche's Summer Yellow where Golf does look very slightly green. And another photo next to another Golf car where both shades look very close to one another which makes me think they are both the original shade.

IMG_5139.PNG

IMG_9644.jpg

IMG_9645.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
IMHO - nice car, not a great car. not a 6 figure car in my book. the color to me is not correct and does look more like the P-car yellow. i do get that golf can be a difficult color to photograph and get the color correct ... but this is way too far off. this is the joy of importing a car to flip ... there are a lot of hard costs other than just the purchase price. and if you don't go see it, you better get really good photos and pour over them ... and buy from a known seller with a great reputation.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, many comments here

First, as somebody who has a golf CSL and loves it, this car does not look Golf to my old imperfect eyes. Just look at the yellow lines on the road, when Golf is next to yellow, it really does show its green and when its next to green it really does show yellow.

Odd that the seller didn't accept the 75k, but its his/her car, so up to them. Very obviously they jumped on the bandwagon of previous prices, even using previous BAT prices as some kind of justification for his rationale:) That and a $3 might get you a cup of coffee.

Sadly, times change and I think BAT has exhausted the market for less than perfect E9s, all the buyers that were just jumping at everything, often with zero understanding on what they were buying, seem to have been satisfied . BTW, thats not just on E9s, the market is soft overall.

Non numbers matching, decent driver quality E9, color suspect (to me) and a dealer very obviously bought to flip, market spoke correctly I would think.

Last edited:

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Lesson #1 - Don't post a video of your receiving a car that you know (next to) nothing about. At least the auction wasn't for the Alfa... LOL
Lesson #2 - Don't sell a car on a worldwide venue where again you don't know what you are dealing with.
Being a 'flipper' is a bit buzzy in a hot market. Being a flipper in a market undergoing a correction is not a way to be successful when you don't have something unique to add to the value of what you are selling.

My nickel

JBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I must say I've enjoyed reading through this regarding my E9, both the good and the bad. I have to say Im a bit surprised as to the amount of negative statements regarding the auction and myself. First off I will be the first to say I am not at the knowledge on E9s as many of you are, I hope to spend time here and meet and learn from you all. I am very open to constructive criticism and I truly mean that when I say you all were insightful and taught me a few things as even this auction went on.
@lip277, Kevin, your previous statements were increasingly interesting for me to read as I recognize your comments from BaT. I think saying that I know next to nothing and had no idea what I was dealing with is a bit unfair. I answered any and all questions brought up in the auction pertaining to the car, the video you speak of involves me unloading the cars and really not stating much else, Im not sure how I portrayed myself as ignorant as you make me out to be. Ill accept the Alfa part because truly I have learning to do, and I will learn. Otherwise I think I was well aware what I went into, Im well aware of the market, and I don't think anything pertaining to me hurt the auction.
Whats more so unfair to say is I didn't add anything of value to my auction, I think the value in my auction was the photo galley twice as extensive as 95% of any E9 to hit BaT, I mean truly how many have more pictures? Ive seen 2. I know you guys were interested in firewall shots, I sent 5-6. I haven't seen an E9 on BaT feature anymore than 1 picture of the fusebox area, and nothing more than that same standard picture that I included. And by the way I only counted a few that featured a picture there at all. I portrayed this car to the absolute best of my ability and interacted accordingly with all parties. Nothing hidden, nothing unanswered, nothing I pleaded ignorance to. I readily invited anyone and everyone to come out and see the car for themselves. Not to mention the value of taking the liberty of actually importing this car so the interested party doesn't have to endure that hellish procedure.

Its kind of odd to me at the amount of people seemingly standoffish towards me as though I am a run of the mill car flipper who has no respect or knowledge of the brand and making me out to be a guy who said "hey I see a booming market, let me just buy into it and profit off a brand I don't care about." I have been a diehard BMW enthusiast since before I could drive. I have nearly a decade involved with classic BMWs and 3+ years on YouTube alone of me pouring my heart into the brand to not only share my passion, but also teach others about these cars, and to those in here that have seen my videos and spoke kindly of me, that really means the world to know my work has not only entertained but also helped you guys with your personal cars. That makes all the work of YouTube worth it. I may specialize more so in 5 series and newer age stuff than the E9, but the mechanical knowledge and knowing an overall good car from not a good car is there. For those seemingly judging me off of one video, I encourage you to check out some of my videos. Ive built some cool 80s and 90s projects, Ive restored cars destined for the scrap yard, whether it be interior fires, front end accidents, or mechanical disarray. My knowledge, respect, and passion for this brand goes well beyond my years, and I think anyone of the multitudes of people that Ive sold cars to or sold parts to, or just a long time viewer could back that up.

As any car enthusiast without endless money, I also use some of the cars to fund further cars. I worked hard to get into these cars I always dreamed of( E9s). And I thought a great next step into my journey as a BMW enthusiast would be to do something not everyone does, bring over some of these cars, because this not only feeds my BMW addiction, but it lets me explore new cars, allows me to share awesome cars with my viewers, and if it allows me to make a buck so I can do it all over again then that is all I could ask for. I don't think everyone realizes the work, stress, and expenses that go into importing these cars, I looked at it as I am doing a service for the community, allowing them easier access to these cars, easier access to learning about them, most younger people don't even know what an E9 is! It was exhausting getting that car here to offer to the market. I spent an uncountable amount of my time, resources, etc searching for cars, traveling to make sure they are worth bringing over, extensively presenting them in an honest way. And if a young enthusiast who is dedicating his everything into these cars doesn't justify me to make a buck then I'm not sure what does. I didn't see a shiny car in Grandmas garage and throw it on the marketplace with money signs in my eyes. Yes the car went RNM because at that price it wasn't worth my efforts, and that is completely fine because now I get to enjoy it, learn from it, and be a part of the community.
I hope I didn't come off as standoffish, Im sorry for the long message, but I felt as though I kind of needed to stand up for myself here. I am happy to be a member of the community, I am happy to learn from you all, and I hope to make it to some E9 related events in the coming years.

Thank you all, it was a pleasure meeting and talking with you all throughout my auction.

as a side note the talk about the color, I wholeheartedly believe this is due to the photography, my photographer said this was a very tricky car to shoot properly and I think it didn't show the cars true color in the best way. I have this car next to my Dakar Yellow E36 currently and I think its green shows much better. I can snap a picture.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
we all wish you well with this venture ... i know you are faced with the added importation / registration costs that people who buy a car in the USA don't face. the market is what the market is and what means is that in order to purchase overseas, you have to pay less initially. this is not dissimilar to property development - you establish your market price and budget purchases / construction accordingly. i hope its not a financially painful experience. overall, i find this forum to be honest ... occasionally blunt / pointed, but not generally intentionally hurtful. you will notice that we do have some opinions about the auction process on BaT and some of their practices.

if you do keep the coupe for a while, we hope you will drop in and become a member of the community. i can assure you that you can learn a lot if you participate ... and you can learn how to raise the level of a coupe from a nice driver to a condition 2 car ... a condition 1 is possible but it is extremely expensive to obtain from where you are starting. i would be happy to see a pic of the yellow, but my advice is to not be defensive ... it is what it is. here's a question, do you know for a fact that the car was originally Golf? have you asked for verification from BMW Archiv?

the auction says the engine was replaced under previous ownership - i didn't see a pic of the engine number. in a CSi, that is a very important element as the CSi engine is a higher compression engine than the standard 3.0cs.

cheers
scott

Johan_CS2800

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm really glad for you you didn't sell it. The E9 is a keeper! Enjoy it while you can. Mine is a bit in pieces right now, but even then it's a joy to look at!
Cheers!
Johan

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Josh @JBMW,
First let me say I’ve been a subscriber to your channel since you purchased the e12 on BaT and drove it from CA to Chicago. I enjoy your content. More importantly it’s always good to see younger enthusiasts getting into older BMWs. We’re not gonna be around for ever and someone has to look after our cars when we’re gone. (My kids are no help in that department. A topic for another day). I can imagine you’re feeling some disappointment, BaT is an unforgiving marketplace. One can make the argument that November week before Thanksgiving is not a good time to list. Although $75K is not terrible in the current climate. One thing is clear, the e9 market is not what it was 18 months ago. A topic discussed here quite a bit.

There is an Everest of e9 knowledge on this website and almost as much good intention. I would have advised you came here sooner, but again I admire your enthusiasm. You are not the first BaT e9 seller who felt stung by “criticism” from members here. Referred to at least once on BaT as the “e9 Mafia”. Being Italian and growing up in North Jersey I can tell you the Mafia doesn’t exist. But I digress. Keep in mind that most of the members here are pretty old, :rolleyes: me included, that means we’ve accumulated a lot of arcane knowledge. We’re not afraid to share it. Most of us own e9’s and want to see them do well in the marketplace. I for one don’t like those “respect your elders” stickers and it’s not what this post is about. Just trying to let you know where we’re coming from.

I’m not usually this long winded. On the bright side, you still own a pretty rare euro CSI and the market could still rebound, hopefully sooner than later. Spring may be a better time to sell.
Hope to see you here in the future. It really is a great website.
Keep up the good work. Good Luck!

Last edited:

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Josh ( @JBMW )-

Glad you made it here....
Yes - I can be a bit harsh. Comes from dealing with persons who are sometimes a bit out of their element (or appear a bit out of their element) and oh well....
I have bid on cars on BaT and bought one even (afterwards). Buying something online without seeing it in person takes a tremendous about of trust in what the seller is presenting is what it is. It is all about satisfying expectations and minimizing the unknowns.

There was an auction recently on BaT of an E9 CSL. If you read through the comments you'll see where I am coming from (as well as the comments of several others here).
Those comments are good on Bat. They are even better here for that car -and the poor way the seller tried to manage his auction resulted in a clear RNM situation.

I design (and fix) airplanes for a living. Big ones. In that world, there are two kind of folks - those that know exactly 100% of what they need to know, or those that are expected get help to get the info. There is no margin for 'I guess that is ok'. Doesn't work in our industry.
I guess I have a short fuse... and high expectations.

For example - If someone were an expert in VW GTI's from the 80's - but then all of the sudden got into the air cooled (Bug) market.... that could be a problem if they didn't get help to know what makes those cars tick.

Again - Welcome. Hope you stick around to find out more about these cars.
(and find the Alfa site also for that one - :) )

JBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the warm welcomes!
I spent the last day or so putting myself in your guy's shoes, and I must say I see where everyone is coming from. I find myself feeling the same way towards newcomers in the E34 world of BMWs, a series of cars Ive spent years of my life mastering, and it is easy to pinpoint those that don't seem to really respect the car or care to really learn about it. I think from a snapshot I may have come off that way in the E9 world, but I promise that's not the case. I plan to learn these cars, both from you guys and just from further investigating the cars themselves and the market. As I advance I hope to be able to present these cars in a much more knowledgeable manner.

@rsporsche, Scott, Those two questions alone point out my necessity to learn from you all because neither are things I even thought of checking. I will try to reach out to the Archive and get a delivery confirmation for this car, Seeing as the underneath was Golf I wouldn't have imagined it to be any other color prior, but I can't say for sure. As for engine I will check the block number, this is something that I should have included prior to listing. Thanks for the pointers.

@Johan_CS2800 thank you! I wish the weather here in the midwest allowed me to enjoy it more, however I have to wait a few months.

@JMinPDX, John, I really appreciate that! Thank you so much. That E12 cross country trip was a fun experience, dedicated to a late friend, and with intentions to prove how great these cars are! I fully intend the carry the torch of the classic BMW world for decades to come. I am grateful I got into this world at such a young age and am able to not only experience them, but hopefully help inspire our younger generation to respect them and keep them on the road. Thank you again for the words!

@lip277, Kevin, I see where you are coming from. I notice often on BaT, sellers get very defensive when asked questions about their cars, and this isn't very confidence inspiring. I hope in my case I was very open, level headed, and helpful to answer questions that arose. You guys let me off easy, given reading through this thread, I could have been hammered in the BaT comments, and I appreciate you guys taking it easy on me.
I myself am a mechanical engineer by education, though I decided post college I want to try and follow my dreams in the world of BMW. So I completely understand your experience in the industry carrying into your world of cars. Thank you for teaching me the importance of how I convey myself and my knowledge of a car I post on the internet. That is kind of the double edged sword of doing social media.
I will certainly stick around, Im eager to advance in the world of E9. I have a CS from Italy that is going to become my fun little project car.

And to all out there, especially local to Chicagoland, I would really enjoy having you guys out to my shop in Plainfield. I think you would enjoy seeing some of the BMWs I have out there, and I would love to have some experts check out this E9 in person.

Again, thank you everyone for the insights and the welcoming to your group!

Josh

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Josh. Swing by any Fuelfed event next season and give me heads up; it'd be a rare sight to see two Golf E9s side by side.

JBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Luis A. Funny story, When I had my Golf purchased already and was back in the US waiting for it, I was driving up to Wisconsin, on 90/94? Cant quite remember, but to my complete and utter disbelief I saw a Golf E9 cruising down the opposite way. It was like seeing a unicorn, I was yelling to my buddies to look, startling everyone in the car. And then I thought man, only once you own something do you start to see other ones just like it. Well given your location I am guessing that was you! Small world. I would love to get the Golf's together, maybe then we can finalize the color discrepancy! haha

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

IMHO, you should have sold it at $75k (unless it was a shill bid).

$100k cars has had extensive restoration photos or be extremely original survivor with barely any rust.

Good luck!