Gauging Interest: Restored E9 shell

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gauging interest: I have a rust free, 95% restored shell from a 1974 CS, LHD, non-sunroof. Many of you saw this car on Craigslist a few years ago, but the seller was reluctant to share any info or additional photos. He was local to me, so I was able to see/buy it in person.

Since I've had it, I've performed the full Coupe King body Reinforcement: http://www.coupeking.com/listings/body-reinforcement-cs/

I also POR-15'd the interior, welded in a La Jolla diff reinforcement, and added gussets to the front framerails.

I've also cut out the spare tire well section of the trunk in preparation for the W&N replacement piece (which I have not yet purchased). I shaved some of the brackets from the engine bay, but those can be easily re-spotted.

I have/had big plans for modifying this car, and I'm at a crossroads. The next few steps would push it beyond ever being close to stock again. And I've come to the realization that work, family, and maintaining my race car have prevented me from touching the E9 for months. So I either commit to what's probably a 5-year project, or I move on...

The shell is in Richmond, Virginia, and is non-rolling on my lift. I'd include all glass, doors (currently on the car, trunk (on car), hood, etc. I'm neither desperate or in a rush, but if someone is interested, I can move forward with getting detailed photos and more info. Thanks, Max

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I saw this shell in Max's garage about a year ago (I bought the seats from the car). It is in EXCELLENT 'shell' condition. Max was doing yeoman work on his fabrication work at that time, and I'm sure that has continued with what time he has been able to devote to it.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Depending on price, this would be a very good start to a complete restoration if you have a car with decent interior/trim but a rusty shell. If I ever did a restoration again, this is what I would search for instead of spending several hundreds of hours in the garage replacing bodypanels, or having someone else to do it for you.

Just out of curiosity, what is the price for the shell?

Cheers,

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Opinion: Super nice, let's look at some economics; you want to restore your late model e9 but it has "some" structural rust. By the time you got the car apart you could have put in 3 months work at McDonalds (in CA at minimum wage) and that would get you enough money to buy the shell. Once you get the smell of french fries and bad meat off your body (another 3 months) you would still need to address the rust and get it done correctly... about 7K on the low side. I know at least 1 person who would shave $7K and 1 year off their project by purchasing this shell (even with transport) PLEASE!! someone purchase it because I don't have enough room. Love the stitch welds and front frame gussets too.

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Peter! I'll also throw in all of the exterior chrome trim!

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I should also add that having done business with Max, he is very straightforward and a great guy (good kids too!!). I hope he can keep the shell and finish the project, but if he concludes he doesn't want a 5 year project, SOMEONE is going to get a great shell and an equally good deal.

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Gary!

FYI, I can get some pics this weekend, but I would include all of the exterior chrome trim, bumpers (it's a '74), and a ton (4 or 5 rubbermaid tubs) of mechanical parts. If you were interested in any interior parts, we could work that out as well.

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
IMG_9222.JPG
IMG_9229.JPG
IMG_9230.JPG
IMG_9233.JPG
Here are some parts that are included. I couldn't get to the other 4 storage bins in my garage...

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Max,

IF you will sell the Al, SS, Chrome (whatever) window surrounds for the windshield and the rear window, please give me first option to buy.

Thanks,

Mark Laino

Reaction score
Hello Max, is there a way to contact
Gauging interest: I have a rust free, 95% restored shell from a 1974 CS, LHD, non-sunroof. Many of you saw this car on Craigslist a few years ago, but the seller was reluctant to share any info or additional photos. He was local to me, so I was able to see/buy it in person.

Since I've had it, I've performed the full Coupe King body Reinforcement: http://www.coupeking.com/listings/body-reinforcement-cs/

I also POR-15'd the interior, welded in a La Jolla diff reinforcement, and added gussets to the front framerails.

I've also cut out the spare tire well section of the trunk in preparation for the W&N replacement piece (which I have not yet purchased). I shaved some of the brackets from the engine bay, but those can be easily re-spotted.

I have/had big plans for modifying this car, and I'm at a crossroads. The next few steps would push it beyond ever being close to stock again. And I've come to the realization that work, family, and maintaining my race car have prevented me from touching the E9 for months. So I either commit to what's probably a 5-year project, or I move on...

The shell is in Richmond, Virginia, and is non-rolling on my lift. I'd include all glass, doors (currently on the car, trunk (on car), hood, etc. I'm neither desperate or in a rush, but if someone is interested, I can move forward with getting detailed photos and more info. Thanks, Max

Hello Max,
Would it be possible to email or call about this chassis? Thanks, Mark

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
I really have to apologize to anyone that contacted me about this and my response was either delayed or nonexistent. I got totally inundated with an-all consuming shoot, and am just catching up on life. The chassis is still for sale, and if I didn't respond to you, please bug me again! Max

Last edited:

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
SOLD! I'm going to let the new owner introduce himself and the project.

FYI I still have some parts left to sell: this was a '74 Auto. I still have the complete front struts with brakes, rear brakes, pretty much everything mechanical under the hood, a complete M30 rebuild package, gauge cluster, diff, driveshaft, etc.

In its place is a 1990 M3 that I can enjoy and drive now, and tinker with here and there. Much better option for my lifestyle at the moment. I'll still be visiting this forum everyday though! Max