Gas tank weepage

mosearch

Reaction score
I have been addressing a gas tank weepage situation ...but have not quite figured it out. I just replaced the O-ring around the sender flange. And I thought that might do it; but it continues to be wet (pass vapors) in the general area. The attached photo shows the effect. I'm even considering bedding the o-ring in some Permatex 85420 Permashield (fuel-resistant sealant)...but now I am wondering if it might be coming from the hose connection? Or the electrical taps? OR even the sender flange itself ?
Anyone had a similar experience?
IMG_3122.JPG

CookeD

Reaction score
Your rubber fuel hose has an inner diameter that is larger than the sending unit. The original had a nylon sleeve inside of the fuel hose that acted as an adapter to shim the fuel hose to the sending unit and it appears yours is missing.

If I remember correctly, the hard fuel line that then runs under the body is larger in diameter than the sending unit, so you can't just get a smaller hose, and a hose clamp cannot close the diameter difference at the sending unit properly. Unless someone else has a better solution, you will need to get an adapter to place inside the rubber fuel line, which then allows the sending unit to mate to the fuel line.

mosearch

Reaction score
You are right about the hose and nipple diameters...but my nylon "adapter" is still there (if you zoom-in you can just see it peeking out of the hose). I did not observe any cracks in the nylon...but I'll take the hose off and have a second look at it. Might just trim-back or replace that section of hose too. A constant background odor of gasoline in my garage is not gratifying.

JhwShark

Reaction score
I observe compromised fuel line around the clamp...definitely replace/cutback...this might be contributing to your issue. Consider replacing the clamp with fuel line/high pressure hose clamps; they will not compromise the line.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
And don't use those el cheapo slotted hose clamps as they would inevitably cut into the rubber hose. Use the BMW/Euro style clamps (no slots) or the FI style clamps.