Gas smell, cont'd, cont'd...

CookeD

Reaction score
Hey All,

As a small project, just went through and replaced all the cloth-covered hoses in the trunk that connect the fuel tank to the vapor tank, nylon lines, etc.

I don't think there's supposed to be fuel laying in the nylon line that connects the filler neck to the vapor tank in the trunk, correct? 'Cause I found some in there...

I can see how fuel could get splashed into the line (maybe), or from over-filling the tank (maybe), but wondering if there's a problem somewhere in the system that's allowing fuel into the line. Or, is it because I'm no longer running Zeniths, and there isn't a draw on the system and that gas has been accumulating there for a while?

TIA,

John

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You need a vacuum or draw to pull any vapors into the carb, usually through the charcoal can near the battery if you have one. Otherwise it just sits and smells!

pamp

Reaction score
Charcoal Can

Does the charcoal can fail over time, and if so, what is the fix? On my car, I can smell gas but very slightly, and intermittant. For sure I here a bit of a "wheese" under braking. This car is a CS with a d-jet transplant. I have her running well. But the aforementioned sound is an irritation. Suspect the can is old and not functioning as it should. Bitch as it sits beneath the battery tray. Suggestions?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't think the can can fail, it can be less efficient perhaps, but it is just a place for vapors to hang out until you start the car and the carbs suck up the excess. Noise during braking would be booster vacuum related I would think. Someone has more experience than I though.

MMercury

Reaction score
Does the charcoal can fail over time, and if so, what is the fix? On my car, I can smell gas but very slightly, and intermittant. For sure I here a bit of a "wheese" under braking. This car is a CS with a d-jet transplant. I have her running well. But the aforementioned sound is an irritation. Suspect the can is old and not functioning as it should. Bitch as it sits beneath the battery tray. Suggestions?
I do not know the useful life of the charcoal canister. As the charcoal is designed to absorb vapors, perhaps, given the right conditions, it might last indefinitely.

You mention your model is a CS converted to a Djet. That charcoal canister and a small containment/expansion tank was installed on North American cs models. However, I am not so certain about that equipment being installed on Euro "DJet" models. The realoem diagram below suggests that all models, including the csi use the evaporative emission controls, but I know of at least two stock csI models that do not have that equipment or any evidence that they ever had that equipment. (Mentioned this in a previous post: http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5480)

Assuming, for the moment, that I am correct, and realoem is overly-optimistic, exactly how is your canister connected to the fuel system? Does it merely serves as a glorified one-way vent for tank vapors, rather than a bonafide means of collecting (some) fuel vapor? If the fuel-laden vapors are not returned to the tank, the fuel system, or burned by the engine - the answer to your gas fumes may be simple and probably has nothing to do with the activated charcoal's effectiveness. :wink:
24.png