Garage Sale / Blow Out Pricing / This Saturday Jan. 26th / Orange Calif. / 9 am to 12 noon / Zoom for pieces you want shipped

Mike Pelly

Reaction score
Paul's response about sub frame differences:

Ohmess,
Thanks. I read your prior post. The powdercoated subframe was definitely out of an E3? It looks like an E12 subframe. I have not spent that much time under E3, but I will definitely get images of the subframes that we have for sale at the shop. Thanks for this follow up, Paul

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Mike - my response:

Hi Paul - I bought the subframe from Al Taylor (Bavman here), and Al told me it was from an e3. Then again, he also told me it would fit an e9, but when it didn't he bought it back.

Al funds his racing selling BMW parts, so he's usually pretty good. I bought my five speed, shift platform, e12 flywheel and a handful of other things from him. But with Brendan and now you thinking this was an e12 part, maybe that was the problem.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Lets get some hard data: I will measure my Coupe subframe (Patricia Mayer's known original) and post it on this thread. Then.....If we can get an enthusiastic E3 owner to crawl under his car and get the same measurements? We can put this to rest with some hard numbers. Back to you shortly with a few images and numbers.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, I was clearly wrong.

I currently have 2 CS rear subframes. The one in Patricia Mayer's car and the shiny black one that is center image on slide 2. Both are identical.

It is very clear that Bavaria (E3) rear subframes are noticeably different. The easiest way to note the difference is the outer mounting point. On the CS the bolt center line is roughly in the very center of the entire subframe arm. On the E3's it is sunken noticeably lower to the lower edge. Slide two and three show these differences. See also BMW's part no. differences including the E12, that I shot my mouth off earlier -slide 1. That's like the 17th time this week I've been wrong ;). Apologies to Ohmess and the great Al Taylor for being spot on!

A tip of the chapeau to @Mike Pelly who just provided the clearest image of these differences. Note both the inner and outer bolt hole center lines. Thanks Mike!

Back to answering the original question and concern:

We have (1) E9 subframe for sale and (1) E3 subframe for sale this Saturday.

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 71
  • E3 on the left and E9 on the right.jpeg
    E3 on the left and E9 on the right.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do you have a set of rear disc brakes to convert 2800 cs from drums. Thanks Mark
Mark do you have 3.0cs rear swing arms? you will need those to convert to discs. i knew of a full rear axle in atlanta a month ago, if you are in need, i can check if the guy still has it.

Mike Pelly

Reaction score
there is part that I am looking for it but it is very hard to know is that really from 3.0cs or not since it is not categorized there is sub frame there that is look the same with E3 and 2800cs but actually there are slightly deferent and it is garage sale you can not return and there is lots of parts are from same care and deferent model will not match but how ever I like to get there to see it myself and maybe can fined out
Candia- just wanted to make sure that you know that we verified the subframe is from a 3.0cs. We have one for a Bavaria too.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, I was clearly wrong.

I currently have 2 CS rear subframes. The one in Patricia Mayer's car and the shiny black one that is center image on slide 2. Both are identical.

It is very clear that Bavaria (E3) rear subframes are noticeably different. The easiest way to note the difference is the outer mounting point. On the CS the bolt center line is roughly in the very center of the entire subframe arm. On the E3's it is sunken noticeably lower to the lower edge. Slide two and three show these differences. See also BMW's part no. differences including the E12, that I shot my mouth off earlier -slide 1. That's like the 17th time this week I've been wrong ;). Apologies to Ohmess and the great Al Taylor for being spot on!

A tip of the chapeau to @Mike Pelly who just provided the clearest image of these differences. Note both the inner and outer bolt hole center lines. Thanks Mike!

Back to answering the original question and concern:

We have (1) E9 subframe for sale and (1) E3 subframe for sale this Saturday.
I have been told 2800cs subfraime is not same with 3.0cs and maybe I am wrong now is your subfraime came from 3.0cs or 2800cs

Mike Pelly

Reaction score
I have been told 2800cs subfraime is not same with 3.0cs and maybe I am wrong now is your subfraime came from 3.0cs or 2800cs
The rear trailing arms are different but not the subframe. The ideal upgrade for a 2800CS are the 3.0CS swing arms. Regardless, our parts are from a 3.0cs.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The rear trailing arms are different but not the subframe. The ideal upgrade for a 2800CS are the 3.0CS swing arms. Regardless, our parts are from a 3.0cs.
do you have the 3.0 trailing arms with hob on it and what is the price thank you

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes. I have a set of 3.0 CS vent rear disc brake rear trailing arms. Complete; discs, calipers, E Brake cable, etc. With 34.555k miles on them from new. They are expensive.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The location for the 3 hour garage sale on Saturday, January 29th 2022 is:

644 North Poplar Street
Unit H (Roll up door at the rear of the shop)
Orange, Calif.

The garage sale will be from 9 a.m. to 12 noon.

Here is the final punch line:
-there will be no sales after tomorrow at noon.
-We are going to working very hard to sell as much as possible, with great prices, so as to get these parts back on the road
-At 12 noon the sale will be over.
-All unsold parts will be loaded into a pick up truck and will being gifted to a local private collector. -a So. Cal enthusiast who has been extremely kind and generous to the Vintage BMW Community.
-Looking forward to seeing you there.
-Cash, or Paypal
-Zoom call starts at 9 am. There are currently two in the que
-Thank you.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In the Event the Zoom Line gets busy. This is an invitation to a second Zoom Meeting To be hosted by Chris Macha or Mike Pelly.

They will announce on this page when this second gathering will start.

Topic: E9 Coupe / ZOOM Conf. No. 2 with Video / Parts / Garage Sale
Time: Jan 29, 2022 09:30 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 834 2525 5204
Passcode: pG1a7X