Fuel leak at sending unit - Fixed

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Throwing in the towel, the epoxy didn’t hold, so I will install the reducer and have also put in an order (longer delivery time) for some plastic fuel line to see if that will work.

Phemisg

Reaction score
Looks good. And some decent clamps I trust. I'd just use reducer: it doesn't change anything and is hidden. I wouldn't screw around with trying to replicate the plastic spacer.

Honolulu

Reaction score
Re the (split, unusable) bushing on the steel sender pipe - suggest you remove and dry the sender, then put on some heat-shrink plastic hose, as used in the electronics.

Next, yes the o-ring is supposed to dry out and "restore" overnight. Lotsa luck with that; new ones are relatively inexpensively available.

My go-to for finding the fuel leak would be to remove and plug the flex line, then lean on the tank. Having taken the hose out of the situation, this will isolate the test effect to the o-ring.

Last chance: Realize "they all do that" (they really do) and accept your fate. There are over two dozen possible sources of fuel smells in the cabin, they are at both ends of the car, but it would ruin one's day for one of them to find an ignition source. Cars on fire that I've seen, burn really well.

stphers

Reaction score
Charlie I have to disagree with you on the fact that " they all do that " Every one that I have come across with fuel smells, I have been able to repair so there is absolutely no more fuel smells It takes some time and perseverance to make every thing right

If you want it original, the plastic piece should be on there, it's not that difficult, there must be a store somewhere near you that sells plastic tubing, I would not use heatshrink material, it is not compatible with fuel

I also would not lean too much on the tank, easy way to warp it and then you will never seal it This my 3 cents worth, just 45 years experience with BMW's

Thanks, Rick

Honolulu

Reaction score
stphers... I was kidding. A little bit. But there ARE at least the number of ways I mentioned for fuel smells to get into the cabin.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Might be premature, but i installed the reducer this afternoon and success, the o-ring is holding and the elimination of the plastic spacer with smaller diameter hose transitioning to the standard sized fuel line is working well. I did a short 10-15 minute test drive and the tank is dry.

Thanks all for your suggestions!