Fuel door rubber available at W&N

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Some of y'all might have seen this email blast today...

Rubber fuel filler surround is available from Walloth at a special introductory price of 49.95 euro.

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/newsletter/dichtung-fuer-tankeinfuellstutzen.html

nl_20180620_gum.png

Now... if anyone has any tips/tricks in installing this. When I removed mine before paint, I knew it would be a challenge to reinstall it. ....lots of patience will be required to keep from scratching the exterior paint.

Ed

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great news. These were nla for a while.
Some of us hoarded good condition used examples for future repaint work. As long as yours is not cracked and torn you can rejuvenate it and make it soft/pliable again with Alcohol & oil of wintergreen.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you can rejuvenate it and make it soft/pliable again with Alcohol & oil of wintergreen.

Rubber can be rejuvenated with alcohol? Does the alcohol pull the oil of wintergreen into the rubber?

interesting....

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't know how long the effect lasts. I did this with some tail light gaskets for an early Giulietta. The gaskets were 61 years old, really.
24 hours in the solution turned the gaskets from rock hard to flexible and elastic. They did tighten up slightly after a week (alcohol and excess oil coming back out of the rubber).
That was 6 months ago. They are as flexible as they were 1 week out of the soak. But the Alfa lives in a trailer and shop and only sees direct sunlight for a couple hours a month. I would think that for cars like ours, this treatment would hold up for a very long time. The only side effect is the fragrance...

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh, and wintergreen oil is pretty expensive from homeopathic stores. It can be found cheaply from places that sell medicines and supplements for horses.