FS: Schmiedmann Stainless Steel Headers

speedracer

Reaction score
These are excellent quality mandrel bend, equal length primary tubes. Thick exhaust flanges. Exhaust gaskets, and down pipe extensions included $550 plus shipping.
P1030815.JPG

Attachments

• P1030816.JPG
    P1030816.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 56
  • P1030817.JPG
    P1030817.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 57
  • P1030818.JPG
    P1030818.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 65
  • P1030819.JPG
    P1030819.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 55
  • P1030820.JPG
    P1030820.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 65
  • P1030821.JPG
    P1030821.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 63

aguirola

Reaction score
Hello Bert,
Stage 2 Korman motor, 3,3 , 3 DCOE Webers, cam.

this from the Schmiedmann site:
Pipe dimensions:
Outgoing pipe: 47MM
Ingoing pipe: 43X32MM

Thank you.
Regards, Alberto

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Schmiedman is a quality company based on experience with other BMW models.

fyi - i have stahl 1 3/8" headers for a euro b34 engine with approx. 240 hp. that is also what Korman recommends. keep in mind that the pipe diameter (1 3/8") is for the primary tube, NOT the collector or connection to the exhaust. 1 3/8" is approx 35 mm. so the 32 mm primary tube is equivalent to 1 1/4" ... which is only applicable for a stock build. for anybody considering purchase - please pay attention to @OCCoupe's post regarding price directly from Schmiedmann

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Are they better performing than the Stahl set up?

Regards, Alberto
that depends on who you ask ... it also depends on what your engine is. Stahl is a long tube and the Schmiedman is a short tube setup. in my conversations with Jere Stahl, the long tube generally gives you more torque and the test numbers from Korman back in the day support the data. Stahl was the proponent of the long tube, while Alpina and others went with the short tube design. which is truly better? i do not know as i bought into the Korman based methodology decades ago and have been happy with the result. your mileage may vary ...

aguirola

Reaction score
Schmiedman is a quality company based on experience with other BMW models.

fyi - i have stahl 1 3/8" headers for a euro b34 engine with approx. 240 hp. that is also what Korman recommends. keep in mind that the pipe diameter (1 3/8") is for the primary tube, NOT the collector or connection to the exhaust. 1 3/8" is approx 35 mm. so the 32 mm primary tube is equivalent to 1 1/4" ... which is only applicable for a stock build.

Hello RS,
Well, my engine came with Stahl Headers as the engine was a Korman build.
Stage 2 I believe, DCOE 40's. mildly hotter cam, no idea which.

Engine was running strong before disassembly. A rusty battery pan, got the engine out, took the oil pan off,
and alas, as you very well know, the brgs. were almost dead, pistons were worn, etc... Certain meltdown on the horizon.

The only changes we did was bore out a bit, so about a 3.3.
Boosted compression 1/2 a point, used lighter rods, pistons are lighter modern J&E,
and all new expendables replaced, reseated valves, the usual, guides, etc.

Engine bay repainted.

So, thank you very much for the education on headers, I will stick with what I have :)

Regards,
Alberto

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, I put some Schmiedmanns on mine, but it took some work. Their welding was incomplete on the exhaust mating plate and had to be ground out and rewelded. Then the tube for cylinder 6 was bent wrong, and required cutting and rewelding to fit in the car. Even then it wouldn’t fit and I had to grind away some of the frame rail to install it. And bear in mind the bung for the cylinder 4/5/6 O2 sensor is obstructed and not usable. Though they look nice, if I had to do again I would go with a different header. Sorry to diss a supplier; just stating the facts!