FS: BBS E50 Magnesium 5x120 BMW centers

floridabmx

Reaction score
I have a set of BBS E50 centers im offering for sale in BMW Spec. Similar to the e55 centerlocks the CSL's ran, but these are for lugs of course. Two of them are actually dated 1974 I believe. These are the ultimate wheels for any e9 besides magnesium alpinas.

They are BBS 20 hole centers, so they can be built 15-19" in diameter. I have some of every size. I have lots of used 16" stuff. I even have a set of 19x15" shells like the stella art car and porsche 935's ran if any one is looking to build a group 5 tribute.

Im asking $old for these centers, and if you wanted a set of 16" shells I could do XXX shipped with whatever good used halves I have laying around.

22499750_1169515209815058_8985257430761865216_n.jpg

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have heard a lot of caution about driving on the street with magnesium wheels ... especially on georgia roads ... they aren't near smooth enough. if you are driving on racetracks, you are fine.

floridabmx

Reaction score
I hear a lot of caution about a lot of things. I'd be more nervous about my car not having air bags and driving on a two lane road personally. But regardless they used forged aluminum halves, and the muscle car guys are still running cast magnesium one piece halibrand wheels from the 60s.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I hear a lot of caution about a lot of things. I'd be more nervous about my car not having air bags and driving on a two lane road personally. But regardless they used forged aluminum halves, and the muscle car guys are still running cast magnesium one piece halibrand wheels from the 60s.

Since the wheels have already sold, I'll jump in on this. I think the issue is that flaws in magnesium are very difficult to detect, and when the go they fail catastrophically. At one point I was hunting for a set of centers just like this. I ended up going with something else primarily because I thought I would never find these. But I was concerned about the risk, and others may steer clear of these for the same reason.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Since the wheels have already sold, I'll jump in on this. I think the issue is that flaws in magnesium are very difficult to detect, and when the go they fail catastrophically. At one point I was hunting for a set of centers just like this. I ended up going with something else primarily because I thought I would never find these. But I was concerned about the risk, and others may steer clear of these for the same reason.

You find the flaws by having them x-rayed. I’ve yet to see any seller do this so buyer beware or avoidance is the name of the game. Such is life when buying very old stuff like this.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you will see this caution echoed by many reputable race wheel restorers. i asked a premier road wheel restorer, and he cautioned me about pursuing this type of wheel for the street ... in fact he said that he would not restore a set for me for road use.

Bavman

Reaction score
These wheels were never made to be run on the street, and at this age it would be crazy to use on the track, ESPECIALLY WITH TODAY'S RACE RUBBER.

That said, they are still very valuable as that is what you would need for a period correct car, with bias ply vintage spec tires to roll out of the trailer and onto the show field.

You gotta be very careful about what sorta vintage stuff you run on the track, anyone here see Bob Lietzingers wreck at Road Atlanta?? Was some sort of part failure.

Alonzo Taylor
PS, have center lock centers and one set of 5x120 BBS mag centers for sale.