Front shock fitment

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Guys, trying to fit the HD bilsteins into the front strut and it seems I cant get the collar nut to tighten in more than a few thread depth. Anyone got any ideas? I got the shocks from Carl a while back so they should be the right ones.

Regards,

Rohan

nimble_n_quick

Reaction score
Bilstein Fitment

I had the same problem in my coupe. Apparently, there are two different lengths fitted by BMW for the cartridge housing; the difference in length is only 4mm, but this is enough to make it impossible to tighten the retainer.

I have the "short" version. The solution is to use a shorter cartridge (made by Bilstein), part number P36-0029.

The other, perhaps more common problem is either a bent housing, or corrosion on the ID of the housing. A bent housing requires replacement, but a good honing can solve the corrosion issue.

Good Luck!

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Guys, no its not much oil in there.

Nimble - I think the strut changed in 1974 and I need the different part you mention. Where did you find the part number? I will see if Walloth Nesch has it.

Regards,

Rohan

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Nimble, thats where I purchased these shocks but unfortunately I am in the Uk so changing them for the other type is not so easy!

I am amazed that there are different types.

Regards,
Rohan