Front driveshaft for '73 3.0CS 4-speed to 5-speed conversion

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Planning to replace my 4 speed with a 5 speed (OD) transmission. Is having the front driveshaft shortened the best route to go? Or are shortened one already available? (Don't particularly want to use the front of an automatic because it appears that is not really the best match.)

What else do I need to accumulate before doing this, and what might be the sources?

Thanks,

jim

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
May want to consider the fact that Paul Cain used Driveshaft Pro for his driveshaft (and the one in this auction) and sfdon praised the work they did. Were I in your shoes, I would send my entire driveshaft to them to be modified.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks!

Larry Louton

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello, I just went thru all this with Armando, ( Good man ) at Drive shaft pro in Garden city, California. When you change the dimension of the shaft, Front or rear, You change the balance. He will want to do all the U-joints and insure the phase of the unit. Weld and balance, Replace the center bearing and the nose bearing. After you take the old transmission out, Put the five speed in with out flywheel and or clutch. Install Guibo and measure with tape measure from the rear of the Guibo to where the front of the center bearing face will be. Then measure from the rear of the Guibo to the front of the differential flange for the total distance/ length. My drive shaft works better then new.
Take transmission back out while drive shaft is being done, replace rear main seal. Pilot shaft bearing, Get a good flywheel from WKohler and have his machinist put in the step.
I used a stock Sachs clutch. Works nice.

Larry Louton