Found in BC Canada

kenl

Reaction score
A buddy of mine who knows I have been looking for a E9 happened to be driving by a garage and spotted this coupe. It is for sale asking $18000. Original owner, has been serviced at the same garage for since 82. He said that a $25000 restoration was done in 96. Has been sitting since 02 which seems correct as license plate registration was last register in 02. Asking for your knowledge in questions I should ask and and more picture that I should get. I have over 30 pictures that I can email as I don't think they will all upload. I am not the most experienced car person, I have owned two 2002's in the past and have been reading the forum for over a year. Thanks in advance.

Ken

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 227
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 216
  • photo 16.jpg
    photo 16.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 237

kenl

Reaction score
A few more pics.

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 207
  • photo 15.jpg
    photo 15.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 197
  • photo 7.jpg
    photo 7.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 206
  • photo 12.jpg
    photo 12.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 199

kenl

Reaction score
Last ones for now. Not quite sure how many I can upload.

Attachments

• photo 10.jpg
    photo 10.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 202
  • photo 21.jpg
    photo 21.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 182
  • photo 29.jpg
    photo 29.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 189
  • photo 35.jpg
    photo 35.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 179
  • photo 30.jpg
    photo 30.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 176

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
JMO...way overpriced at $18K, $10K maybe. I would say it will take at least $8K (body/paint and interior) to bring it up to the current asking price. Unless you are content with the 74 aluminum bumpers, then look for the chromed bumpered cars. Have seen so many big bumper coupe owners who are always longing and contemplating a chromed bumper $$$ conversion.

STLE9

Reaction score
Ask for the records of the work done in '96. The word "restoration" is used loosely and all too often. Find out if there was extensive (or any) rust repairs done and if so inspect the areas mentioned. Either way lift the carpets, poke around the floors from both inside and under the car. When I say poke I mean poke with a small tool to see if metal is solid. The sunroof seal looks to be painted. No big deal to replace, but approx $500 to have it done right. Check all electrical...for some reason most E9's have suffered from backyard electrical wizards who insist on intalling big stereos and car alarms and in the process mess the rest of the electrical system up. And on and on....water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, control arms, bushings, rubber seals, trim and then the interior!!! All expensive if they need to be addressed.
As for valuation, this car is a great color combination and, if solid and you do not mind the aluminum large bumpers it is worth what you are comfortable with. These cars are not getting any cheaper and have begun to actually appreciate! I think as a whole the cars continue to be way undervalued. Excellent cars are commanding $40+, good drivers can still be had for the mid teens to mid twenties, and projects are low teens and below depending on condition.
Good luck with this one. If it does not pan out for you I would be interested to learn what you found in your inspection. Remember, rust is the abyss. Where there is a little there is usually much more behind it.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
For 10-12k maybe. I think the seller is a bit hopeful for a car that has been sitting for so long.
Mechanically, these coupes are relatively cheap and simple. It all comes down to the body, trim, and interior. If it is pretty dry and you can live with the paint as it is, then you can just drive it and enjoy it once you get it recomissioned for the road.
Any car sitting for ten years is going to need a thorough reconditioning--fuel tank, lines, brake lines (if the calipers are seized those can be pricey), master cylinder, coolant/radiator, etc. La Jolla Independent may have rebuilt calipers.
At the right price, I would say yes, but only at the right price. The pictures that I can see look decent.
Scott

m_thompson

Reaction score
Photo 3 would worry me a little bit. It looks like rust that has been painted with silver paint, and the rust is coming through again.

kenl

Reaction score
I sent an email to the mechanic where the car is being stored and asked him for a more detailed report. I will keep you updated.

Ken