For the Love of Cars - UK documentary

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Although I believe this television program originally began airing in 2014, I just discovered it this weekend.

Side bar, did you know that there are about as many car reality TV shows as there are home improvement shows? I binged for about a day and a half - many not-so-good. But I still stayed tuned in...

I discovered several episodes of For the Love of Cars, a British show about cars and their history. The basic storyline is that there are several models of cars that deserve a special place in British automotive history - and some are rotting away in storage. The host and an expert mechanic seek these barn finds out, restore them, and all throughout delve into the history of the models. They also shine a light on the enthusiast groups of each particular model. Personally, I found the stories and the content quite enjoyable - especially the British dry humor. Several of the narrator's comments made me laugh aloud.

Although we'll not see them on this show, the format was perfect for the e9. I can imagine many of us have experiences that overlap the show's premise: A resounding love for a classic auto, a search to find an original example, and the quest to turn it into something that represents its design and history proudly.

Stephen

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes I came across the episode on the Land Rover the other night - refreshingly free of fake drama and deadlines.

Dohn

Reaction score
Yeah, I always laugh when they take a rotting corpse of a car and say "We've got two weeks to turn this into a show car. Get to it!" Then the custom-built wheels and the perfect interior magically appear... and the perfect paint and chrome, and the rebuilt motor, and the frame, and the suspension, and the lights, and the trim, and it's all installed, and working, in two weeks! As if.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I suspect some of those "reality TV" builds do transpire that quickly. And like their home remodeling counterparts, these are not cars (or houses) I'd want to be at the receiving end of.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I was looking for a painter for my e9 I met a guy who worked in the body rebuilding section on one of those shows, he said there were 70 people working behind the magic curtain....

I chose someone else to paint my car.