Fog Lights: Round or Rectangular?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I am going to put yellow fog lights under my front bumper. Please Give me your opinion Round or Rectangular.

Agree with @DWMBMW and IMHO I would find some nice period correct ones, these new Chinesey things will take away from your car's vintage mojo. Nice Hella, Cibie, Marchal et al are easy to find on ebay and other sources, I'd be happy to send you some ideas if you want to go this route.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
DWMBMW AND Stevehose are both correct. $31. for one and $46 for the other screams Cheap, Corners cut, the old "You get what you pay for."

Actually, I am seriously considering driving lights for my '72 Bavaria to toss that beam much further than the existing lights. They are okay, but I live in deer country, it ain't called Bucks County for nothing, and I need all the warning I can get. Plus they are a cool period option. They will be my first venture into driving lights. Enoz on this board is always offering lights. High quality original, shipping from Europe can be pricey.

Steve, could you send your ideas along to me also?

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
392A2B74-6237-4CD6-B4D1-40470D9937C5.jpeg

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
CSteve, a simple upgrade is this Hella setup which bypasses the dash switch other than to activate the relays. Power comes directly from the battery/alternator. Easy to install.

Classic fogs will not be cheap so consider Lamin-X or equivalent to protect the lenses from our wonderful infrastructure. You can even get amber film and clear lenses if amber are difficult to find.

1701465784891.jpeg

Last edited:

enoz05

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I am going to put yellow fog lights under my front bumper. Please Give me your opinion Round or Rectangular.
I have these Cibie 35's yellow fog lights available

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Agree with @DWMBMW and IMHO I would find some nice period correct ones, these new Chinesey things will take away from your car's vintage mojo. Nice Hella, Cibie, Marchal et al are easy to find on ebay and other sources, I'd be happy to send you some ideas if you want to go this route.

yes !
i do have a marchal set of rectangulars….in a box…

preparing cables:

new seal

bits, love how they are built

cables protected with fiber cover:

ready

and action

those bad cats...

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hella Universal H4 Headlight Wiring Harness.Seems only available on Ebay, got one at Walmart a while back. One male to the harness pulled from one light, two females to plug into each light. Wire directly to battery and ground. Dash switch now only opens both relays to join lights directly to the battery/alternator.

Last edited:

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had rectangular Cibie driving lights on my 2002 for nearly all the 28 years I drove it. (Iode I95 if I recall correctly).
I also had Cibie BOBI headlights (with H4 bulbs) installed as well. I installed overwattage bulbs in all positions (with new power wiring for each - fused runs and relays - all that good stuff). I wired the driving lights so they would come on either by themselves or when I had main high beams on. AWESOME setup. 400W total when all 4 were going.
I must admit that the lights in the 'new' Coupe may be better though. I have only driven the E9 at night once since I brought it up from Alameda.
Will see how my eyes compare what they see to the memory of the 2002. I miss that car... Oh well... :)
Pic below of what that looked like (one of my 'for sale pics' from 2011)

That being said - I am partial to rectangular for aux lights (either below or above the bumper). I like the way the square shape contrasts with the round headlights (and kind of elongates the horizontal look of the front). But that's just my nickel...
Either can be good.

I did not have Don install any additional lighting on the Coupe as he assured me I did not 'need' anything extra. And - after only one brief drive - I can agree that I don't 'need' anything extra.
But... Um..... "want" is another thing. Ummm..... LOL

Attachments

• DSC01164.JPG
    DSC01164.JPG
    333.7 KB · Views: 27

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
just my opinion of course, but any E9/E3 that looks good with aftermarket driving or fog lights....looks better without them.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just don't run the fog lights when there is no fog like every SUV in the US. Wasted electrons IMO.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the diameter is a really good point. the 4" marchals are so hard to find and have become soooooo expensive ... but they look the best. i have some that i think are 5"

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Do we have any pics with the fog &/or driving lights on???? The blue/white coupe pics show the low and the high beams on, but the fog lights are not on in any of the pics.