Flag or trap mirrors

bmwkai

Reaction score
I am a bit confused about mirrors. I have a sales brochure from 74-75 and the cars all have trap mirrors, and it is clear to see that they are the facelift edition on the wiperarms, grilles (black) and seats have a different stitching. Also a very well description of the 3 point safetybelts, placed behind the rear seats.But some here talk about flag mirrors are on the later edition. As I see it all E9's produced had trap mirrors, at least in Europe

lloyd

Reaction score
I am a bit confused about mirrors.

I can't confirm that trapezoidal style mirrors were Euro only, any more than confirming when or for which markets round "Talbot" style mirrors were fitted to E9s.

The following answer is anecdotal only.

The availability of the flag mirror coincided with an across-the-board styling change, initiated with the introduction of the E3's successor, the E12 (followed by the E9's successor, the E24). While the newer models were moving from the drawing board toward the showroom, there were contemporaneous styling changes to the E10 (with its newer rectangular tail lights and different front grille work - and during this transition, as you note, sometime in late '73 through '74, the E9 and E3 also received makeovers. It seems no accident that some of the styling cues may have been as an accommodation for the large “rectangular” bumpers fitted to North American export market cars. With this backdrop, the flag style mirror was likely part of the grand styling scheme - and as they became available for the newer cars, they “naturally” became available replacements for the older style trapezoidal mirrors.

I think it fair to say that the flag style mirrors have a larger viewing area and are therefore "arguably" superior to the trapezoidal style for viewability. Styling and originality are separate matters that seem similar to the arguments regarding the colors of fender and hood grilles.

20003:17,.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And the Orange Parts books, circa 1/76, as above show only the trap mirror, flags were not yet around. In the US you only got a driver side mirror, the dealer could install one on the passenger side if requested. When coupe owners wanted a passenger mirror years later oly flags were available so you bought two flag mirrors.

In Dec 74 I bought a new 2002, it had a driver side trap only. On the 2002 flags appeared on 76 models here and not earlier, makes sense with the parts book.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Regarding mirrors, I want to install a right door mirror. When I removed the left door mirror to get the hole placement and size precise, I found a very strange method of mounting the nuts for the small screws used for the mounting plate in the door. I can't find any reference to that nut holding system in the parts books. Looks 'kinda' like a wall anchor system, but not quite the same.

Any leads on how to get a 'correct' way to hold the nuts would be appreciated. By the way, the right side door on my car is Aluminum, courtesy of a CSL, so I want to do it right!

Cheers,

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Regarding mirrors, I want to install a right door mirror. When I removed the left door mirror to get the hole placement and size precise, I found a very strange method of mounting the nuts for the small screws used for the mounting plate in the door. I can't find any reference to that nut holding system in the parts books. Looks 'kinda' like a wall anchor system, but not quite the same.

Any leads on how to get a 'correct' way to hold the nuts would be appreciated. By the way, the right side door on my car is Aluminum, courtesy of a CSL, so I want to do it right!

Cheers,
I think those half plastic half metal 'wall anchors' are the correct device. These were on my 3.0Si which I owned from nearly new.

John

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score

Cheers,

It's a metal cup that has a bar that is threaded in the center. Insert the cup into the hole and rotate 90 degrees so the bar now acts as an anchor. I just drilled the holes and installed the trapezoid mirrors which would have come with the car when new.

D-jetronic

Reaction score

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info, however!

The sites I've visited indicate that 07129925804 is NLA. OCCoupe - how/where/when did you get yours?

Marc - what you used looks great. However, the text is in French (I believe), and I can't figure out how to order two of these. Any suggestions if I can't find a way to get the BMW part??

Now - hopefully I can get the right side mirror on soon!!

Thanks again.

PS: Marc, I finally saw the 'language' option, so I can now navigate the web page. IF I can pay in euros via CC or some other mechanism, I may be able to get them. But, when I tried to order, I have to register first, and they list Canada as a country for registration but not USA. So - I'm back to being stuck! Any further insight would be highly appreciated!

Last edited:

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Now registred...

I can order and send you to US.
How many do you want ? 1 set ? 2 ??

Marc

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Marc,

I may ask you to do that. However, once I found the 'english' button, I translated the page and found a way to send the company an e-mail. I'm leaving today for France, going on a river cruise from Lyon to Nice, and will be in Nice for 3 days. I've asked if they could send a package of two to my hotel in Nice. I can call them from the boat to give CC number etc.

IF I get no response, or a negative response, I'll fall back to ask you to purchase one 'kit' of two and send it to me. Obviously, I'll pay you. THANK YOU for the offer.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gary,

I sourced them through BMW. The one's that Marc referenced are not the same. The BMW ones have a cross bar that it threaded in the middle which is what the mounting screw goes through.

D-jetronic

Reaction score
I think..

...they should fit better as the cross bar when rotated, prevents an unscheduled pulling off.
Ref please !!

Marc.

John S

Reaction score
Flag on mine

I found out from BMW that my early '74 3.0csi (11/73 build date, the 36th '74 built #4340036) was originally delivered to a dealer in Milan Italy. Mine has a single Flag style mirror installed in the Euro 'more forward' mounting position. No passenger side mirror and I've kept it that way.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
John, I don't think they were even made in 11/73, not in the parts book in Jan 1976 even. Many like the flag with increased visibility. Just bought a 10/74 1975 2002, single trap mirror, same as my 74 2002 back in Dec 74.