Fitting new BMW one piece door seals.............Shaving the diamond section??

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
I am trying to fit new BMW one piece door seals. The fat (seems thicker than necessary) spongy diamond shaped section (mid A-pillar) seems not very spongy at all, and it sure looks like when installed there is no way the door is ever going to close.

I have read all I could find on the seals and there was a reference to having to "shave" that section, but I could find no details as to how and on what side.

Does one shave the inside of the piece or the outside? Looks like the easiest way would be to fit the entire seal and then somehow shave (sand?) the outside until door closes.

Also is that section to be glued? I have fitted on the left door section from the B-pillar to that piece in question. So I am at all stop until I can figure out what to do.

For info, the seals were bought in mid 2019 from BMW Northwest. Here is a photo of one of the packages, which shows the BMW logo and also in the fine print says made in China. So I suppose since they were sold from a BMW dealer, they are considered OEM. They seem to be of decent quality.

Anyone have some direction here?

PXL_20231118_141242466.jpg

Thanks
jjs2800cs