Final window tint pictures

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
Here are the final window tint results.

I'll start by saying the last thing I wanted to do was "tint" my windows. However, after reading about some of these modern tints that reject a lot of heat and are still pretty clear I wanted to check it out. I've also rejuvenated the AC, so like the heater bypass and insulating the tunnel it all brings benefits in comfort.

I went with Suntek CXP 80. 80 means 80% of light still makes it through, while rejecting 99% of UV and 44% of solar energy. Here's the neat part, compared to the standard Carbon tint I would have had to go with an 18 tint to get the same solar rejection-(only 18% of light would make it through.) That would have been the dark look I didn't want.

I also chose to tint the windshield. Illegal in most states but actually pretty common. I can always pull it off later....the online feedback seems to be most people like it with a few saying it creates a haze they don't like. The curved windows did create a challenge but what these guys do is shrink the tint on the outside of the window then install it on the inside.

I noticed an immediate difference on the ride home. In direct sun it felt a lot cooler. On to the pics...

Attachments

• IMG_2344.jpg
    IMG_2344.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_2349.jpg
    IMG_2349.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 306
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 279
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 292

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks so subtle. Guys and gals, what are your collective thoughts on doing this to a non-ac car? Actually, as I was typing I was thinking, "probably not much, dummy." But will ask anyway.
And what is the approximate cost of doing all the windows and how do you find a shop that knows what they are doing?

Steve

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
Looks good! I'm lucky to be in a temperate climate. If I was in a warmer place I'd do this as well.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I like it too. Major reduction in IR (and UV) transmission with very little difference in visible spectrum. Does not look like MOST tinted cars!

Well Done.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would think this would help preserve the interior as well. I'd definitely try the front windshield too, since a lot of sun pours in there over the precious dash.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
window tint

Thank for posting this. I have begun to understand climate comfort in the Coupe is something of an equation. Optimized A/C + heater bypass + heat shield = cabin comfort. Others may add variables not included here, but I think these are the 3 major ones. Have seen different references to adding window tint, what you have done here is add an thoughtful level of shade, that doesn't detract from the elegance of the coupe, in fact, I think your choice enhances it. Well done!
Mike

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Good Tint

As I'm currently experiencing 100° days here in Texas, I'm very interested in your experience. It looks good and should help quite a bit. My 1970 2800CS is sitting under a cover for now. I have some rust repair and gasket renewal to deal with before I drive it daily. It's not an A/C car, but I plan to change that.
The tint you have chosen is just what I've been looking for. Thanks for the post.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great job Todd.

Just the info I was looking for when I "do" my car this winter.

The greenhouse is wonderful but that doesn't mean we have to turn into a cactus.

Thanks,
Gary

Honolulu

Reaction score
Very nice. Here in Honolulu we are having a very hot summer and records are being broken several times a week. Now we have a weakening hurricane coming, though I prefer to believe that it, like most of its ilk, will weaken and dissipate before arriving in three days.

I wonder whether the local tint shops would use the product you got rahan their preferred material. Who did this work for you?

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
The shop that did the work is called South Jersey Window Tinting...about 2 miles from my house and lots of good online reviews.

I'd say work with whatever brand the shop uses regularly, rather than bringing them a certain tint...there are several manufacturers that have this type of light tint. Also, the best results come from when the shop is familiar with what they are working with.

rshelby

Reaction score
Here are the final window tint results.

I'll start by saying the last thing I wanted to do was "tint" my windows. However, after reading about some of these modern tints that reject a lot of heat and are still pretty clear I wanted to check it out. I've also rejuvenated the AC, so like the heater bypass and insulating the tunnel it all brings benefits in comfort.

I went with Suntek CXP 80. 80 means 80% of light still makes it through, while rejecting 99% of UV and 44% of solar energy. Here's the neat part, compared to the standard Carbon tint I would have had to go with an 18 tint to get the same solar rejection-(only 18% of light would make it through.) That would have been the dark look I didn't want.

I also chose to tint the windshield. Illegal in most states but actually pretty common. I can always pull it off later....the online feedback seems to be most people like it with a few saying it creates a haze they don't like. The curved windows did create a challenge but what these guys do is shrink the tint on the outside of the window then install it on the inside.

I noticed an immediate difference on the ride home. In direct sun it felt a lot cooler. On to the pics...
Looks great, very subtle, but effective. I don’t want dark tint but blocking some solar heat would certainly be nice here in Texas.