Facebook Scam Alert for Lilli an exceptional 2002

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
About a month ago I sold Lilli, our exceptional 2002 on BaT. She garnered 131 comments, many from friends, members here and the 2002faq board. A big thanks to all. I have attached the BaT ad.

Well, the day before yesterday I woke up to an email from a member, alerting me to a facebook ad for, you guessed it, Lilli. The scammer, no, thief, had hacked into the facebook account of my buyer's wife, lifted BaT copy and a dozen or so photos from my BaT ad, and was selling the car for $500.00 more than my buyer paid. Yes, Lilli is exceptional. Facebook took the ad down, I believe it reappeared, not sure, and is gone.

The contact person in the fake facebook ad, was my buyer's wife. The location map centered on a town near where they live. Amazing what these talented criminals can do.

A long chain of emails over the last three days ensued. And possibly the most interesting one was from "Britishiron" as he is known on 2002faq, pointing out how we have gone from paper Hemmings to screens and the World Wide Web. And Britishiron points out that in the journey we have inadvertently revealed so much about ourselves, our lives and our personal information that we have left ourselves vulnerable to criminals like my scammer.

Remember that slogan from the '60s, "Let it all hang our." Well do, but in ways we could not imagine back in those more innocent, halcyon days.

Steve

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Perhaps the seller IS the buyer's wife.
I guess the buyer never got her ok to buy it, and if she can get 500 dollars more than you got then she is a great flipper.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Arde, interesting take on the scam. But I know for a fact she loves the car, more than any of the other cars in his collection.

Steve

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Arde, interesting take on the scam. But I know for a fact she loves the car, more than any of the other cars in his collection.

Steve
Ok, I was just applying the "cherchez la femme" wisdom...