expensive 73 fjord auto

bubukitty

Reaction score
Agreed. Looks very nice overall but no leather with a slush box should make for a far lower price IMO. I'm tempted to go look but at that high an asking price I doubt it can be had for a lot less.

RogerB

Reaction score
Three things:

How much would it take to get one to this APPARENT condition? It even has the correct radio knobs!

I loved driving my autos! 5-speed conversion is a cheap fix if you gotta have a clutch?!?!

Beautiful vinyl seats trump cracked leather. Again cheap fix if you gotta have 'em!

dealhunter0

Reaction score
This one's been discussed and listed for sale here directly by the owner. He wanted a car that he could mod but felt guilty messing with this one because it is so clean and original. Mileage (~33k) is supposedly accurate. Agree that the auto and interior put a damper on the price.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
didn't it get sold? is this the new owner flipping, or is it our board member. i saw the car seller advertisement with 0 ebay score. it is pretty

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seems to me he had no takers in the low 30K range. THis takes a page off Martha Stewart's business education, where in the early days she priced her home baked pies too low and they languished till she bumped the price by a large margin.

arnie

Reaction score
cmon guys,

this is so far away from a reasonable pricing.

And there are so many details in the pics, that leads to to a totally different guess for the milage. 36k are so ridiculous, when you just take a look at the rubbers around the side markers or just simply look at the condition of the fabrication plate, which is btw at a totally wrong location in the engine bay.
What's about the paint/overspray on the door back holder. For me the car got a respray already (at least parts of it if it wasn't a complete spray)
See the weak silver spray of the valve cover. And so on and on ....

No doubt a really nice E9, but way to expensive imho.

And are they serious to set a 48k $ car on NEXEN tires . Could have also been great linglong, dingdong or singding ones for that price instead :lol: :lol: :lol:.

cheers

Ingo

DerSchwede

Reaction score
For a '73 it also has the wrong kidney grille, fins on the QP and hood vents... as well as the later mirrors which came during 74 for the 75 year model. Of course it has had a (partial ?) respray and unfortunately it seems like a quick one with little or no attention to the details (like turn signal rubbers etc.)

Cheers
A

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For a '73 it also has the wrong kidney grille, fins on the QP and hood vents... as well as the later mirrors which came during 74 for the 75 year model. Of course it has had a (partial ?) respray and unfortunately it seems like a quick one with little or no attention to the details (like turn signal rubbers etc.)

Cheers
A

Mirrors are correct for a US/North American coupe, side and hood grilles could also be correct. I agree mileage is most unlikely. It shows very well but one never knows and the respray and kidney tell me it may have been hit hard in the nose.

tmason

Reaction score
I believe if you had a car that is 40 years old with that mileage you would have the records?And with that asking price, wouldn't you think the Guy would buy a set of tires that match!

DerSchwede

Reaction score
Mirrors are correct for a US/North American coupe, side and hood grilles could also be correct. I agree mileage is most unlikely. It shows very well but one never knows and the respray and kidney tell me it may have been hit hard in the nose.

The square mirrors came in summer 74, up until then the trapezoid mirror were fitted to all cars except for the very first run in 1969 which had the thin mirror also found on NK cars. Side and hood grilles should be chrome along with the earlier style kidney and chrome wiper arms until autumn 73. Then it all turned black.

Here a 74 E9:

http://www.bmw-coupeclub.de/Prospekte/Fahrzeuge/6 Zylinder/Position 14/3,0 CS - 3,0 CSL-nl_03.jpg

I think you're correct on the hit up front, the curve of the front end doesn't seem to line up with the plastic parts...

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You are correct- the front end has been reworked.

A PPI on a lift is needed on this car. Amazing amount of resto for a car with 36k.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The square mirrors came in summer 74, up until then the trapezoid mirror were fitted to all cars except for the very first run in 1969 which had the thin mirror also found on NK cars. Side and hood grilles should be chrome along with the earlier style kidney and chrome wiper arms until autumn 73. Then it all turned black.

Here a 74 E9:

http://www.bmw-coupeclub.de/Prospekte/Fahrzeuge/6 Zylinder/Position 14/3,0 CS - 3,0 CSL-nl_03.jpg

I think you're correct on the hit up front, the curve of the front end doesn't seem to line up with the plastic parts...

I disagree, the US was different. The 73 models here got Flag Mirrors, the 2002 didn't get Flags until 1975 here, they still used Trapezoid mirrors. Most US 74 models had the electric mirror option. We also got only a driver side mirror, the passenger side mirror was dealer installed, it was a Hoffman practice.

DerSchwede

Reaction score
I disagree, the US was different. The 73 models here got Flag Mirrors, the 2002 didn't get Flags until 1975 here, they still used Trapezoid mirrors. Most US 74 models had the electric mirror option. We also got only a driver side mirror, the passenger side mirror was dealer installed, it was a Hoffman practice.

When did BMW start with the larger flag mirros in the US - in the autumn 1973? From when was the electric mirror availaeble in the US? Was it the chrome one from the beginning or did BMW start with the black plastic for a start as in Europe (in spring 74)?

Cheers
Anders

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In the US the 73 models were produced from Oct 1972 until July 1973, these have the 2 1/2 mph bumpers and most but perhaps not all have the flags. The 74 big bumper coupes were produced from Sep 1973 thru Dec 1974, most have electric motors in chrome but could have the flag mirror instead. BMW was a bit arbitrary when changing items like mirrors.

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
IMO Trapezoid for 73

My original 73 CS has trap mirrors. Not sure when the change occured but I have never seen an original 73 with flags. But I don't know for sure.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think it changed during 1973 production run so either is correct but later cars I have seen have flags. I just saw a 74 with a driver's side trap mirror so anything is possible. This car had been repainted though.

scottd

Reaction score
I believe if you had a car that is 40 years old with that mileage you would have the records?And with that asking price, wouldn't you think the Guy would buy a set of tires that match!

Agreed re the lack of records...